Friday, April 04, 2014

South Dakota Magazine Recap

Since I am trying to get back into swing of blogging, I should probably also bring you up to speed with my South Dakota Magazine columns. It looks like aside from a couple quick mentions, it was last March when I did a full recap of those recipes. Wow. Time flies when you are...ummm...well, let's just do the recap and see what I have been up to over at South Dakota Magazine for the last year.

I shared my tired and true method for Chicken Fried Chicken and admit that while I crave a plate of this buttery-cracker-crumb coated chicken fried chicken with garlic smashed potatoes and buttermilk gravy, plain old fried chicken just isn't My Thing.

My pizza loving husband wrinkled his nose at the suggestion of head cheese pizza, but devoured my Artichoke, Spinach, Tomato and Salami Pizza.

I was very tempted by the architecturally beautiful chicken coops and baby chicks at the farm supply store, but knew my lazy side was better suited to shredding a rotisserie chicken for Chicken and Black Bean Burritos.

My weather report from last April sounds much like the first verse of the chorus I am singing again this year as I gave up on the sun and looked from a warm orange glow from Clementine Muffins with Orange Honey Butter.

Potato and Spinach Hash with Fried Eggs highlights my love of putting an egg on anything and everything.

My bulging pantry holds many of the ingredients for Garlic Spaghetti with Beans and Arugula, and the rest come from my summer garden.

Chile-Rubbed Pork Loin and Black Bean Salad was my suggestion to keep food poisoning away from your Father's Day cookouts.

I love a good fire on the patio and believe there is no better sweet treat to end a summer evening than a gooey marshmallow and chocolate s'more. Bringing that toasty process to a savory appetizer is pure perfection with Mozzarella S'Mores.

Watermelon and Cucumber Salad is for those expert watermelon thumpers that can choose a perfectly ripe fruit. I, unfortunately, have some trouble in this area.

It doesn't matter if a Pressed Sandwich of antipasti fillings gets smushed in the bottom of the summer picnic basket.

Tomato and Mozzarella Burgers are one of the delicious versions of garden burgers that make it on my plate with the summer tomato harvest.

For the first time ever, I advocated not to tell Roger about the added vegetables in my Zucchini Meatballs. I am not one for hiding vegetables, but in this case, I made an exception.

Poblano and Corn Crab Chowder uses the last of the seasons' sweet corn and a roasted pepper from the garden to bridge the seasons of summer and fall.

I just can't wrap my taste buds around the smoothie trend, but am willing to hop on the quinoa bandwagon with Quinoa with Corn and Zucchini on my plate.

Pumpkin Gingerbread with Warm Caramel Sauce is one of my favorite fall comfort foods, even when I a sinus infection gets me down.

Halloween was made more ghastly with Worm Sandwiches. Strips of hot dogs boiled into curls and bathed in ketchup are stuffed into bun for a fun meal.

Autumn Yogurt Parfaits are a simple breakfast for Thanksgiving morning. Just enough to ward off the hungries, but leaving plenty of room for turkey and dressing.

I am thankful for so much, and one of the simple things on that list is leftover turkey for Poblano, Ham and Turkey Quesadillas.

I am not a gadget person, but I make 2 exceptions in my kitchen. I must have a food processor and a mandolin slicer. These handy items make preparing Pecan-Crusted Chicken and Au Gratin Potato Stacks a breeze.

The recipe for Shrimp Scampi with Chicken Sausage and Spinach was requested by a magazine reader after it was mentioned in short blurb in the holiday issue. Unfortunately, it took me over a month to finally get it together for him.

Beet and Romaine Salad eases my sad mourning of the loss of garden tomatoes during the winter. The bright color of beets and flavor of the mustardy dressing combine with the greens for a wonderful salad.

I don't shun the Blue Box mac and cheese, but do favor the grown-up version of Tortellini with Corn and Bacon. It is pure comfort food.

The Crock-Pot slowly braises my Corned Beef and Cabbage each Saint Patrick's Day, but I am still not a fan of the vegetables cooked in that broth.

And, finally, we come full circle to my most recent South Dakota Magazine column with a recipe for Salsa Verde as I dream of green in our continuing snowy winter.






It has been a widely varied year of recipes, and I am hoping I can continue to share even more here On My Plate and at South Dakota Magazine

1 comment:

  1. What a great variety of recipes! Thanks for posting.
    Glad you're back. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails