Friday, January 21, 2011

Fridge Friday: Episode 17


I almost didn't do a post today. My fridge is so stuffed and disorganized that I didn't really want to share it for Fridge Friday. Also, I have no freaking clue what is going to be On My Plate for dinner. But, I sucked it up and decided to give it a go anyway.

That big box of spinach between the cauliflower and the beets on the bottom shelf? That helped make dinner a couple nights ago. Spinach and Potato Gratin was an excellent pairing with some salmon simply broiled with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon (and a side salad). The creamy, comforting potatoes made a sauce for swirling fork fulls of salmon through. Yummy. Too yummy not to share, even if the photo is kinda fugly. I think that I should have left the dish under the broiler for just a few more minutes to toast the Parmesan to a golden brown (instead of just melting). That might have made a better photo, but I really don't think the Spinach and Potato Gratin could have been any better On My Plate.


Did you remember that the recipes are now printable? Just click the title above to get a handy new page.

4-6 medium red potatoes
10-12 ounces fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons melted butter
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/16 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Scrub potatoes and slice (skins on) into 1/4 inch rounds. (I use my mandoline slicer...but, but watch your fingers.)
Arrange 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
Layer 1/2 of the fresh spinach on top. (I press it down a little.)
Brush with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange a second layer of 1/3 of the potatoes on top of the seasoned spinach. (Again, I press down to try to get tighter layers.)
Repeat layering with the remaining spinach.
Brush, again, with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
Layer the last of the potatoes on top of the spinach, again. (And...yes, again, press down to tighten the layers.)
Brush with the last of the melted butter and season to taste with the salt and pepper. (Beware of over salting and peppering with the repeated layers. However, the dish really needs the flavor at each layer, so don't skimp.)
Whisk the nutmeg and the cream together.
Pour over the potato and spinach layers in the casserole dish.
Cover (this is where a casserole with a glass lid is really handy) and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and cream is bubbling up around the layers.
Remove lid or foil and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
Heat oven to broil and carefully melt the cheese to toasty goodness.
Or, alternatively, leave the oven set at 350 and just slide the dish back in until the Parm is melted. (Serves 4-6)

1 comment:

  1. My fridge, one like yours, looks like this one a lot of the time. Because they are so BIG they can hold a lot..............and lots of things get lost in the back of mine. But, I wouldn't trade it. :o)
    Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails