Saturday, February 18, 2012

Caught in the Act

Oreos have traditionally represented happy childhood memories. However, I can't look at an Oreo without thinking about my husband...naked.

I am sorry. I know you didn't come here for *those* kinds of tales, but trust me. This is legend.

As a farmer, Hubs usually finds himself as busy as a one-man-band. Chores are a never-ending battle, as are repairs. A leisurely day is treasured, almost held sacred. Back when we were mere newlyweds, one mid-summer Sunday morning began just as that type of day.

Always an early riser, my husband had showered long before my tired soul had dreamt of venturing from under the covers. What took place next is a bit foggy in our memories. The tale varies slightly with each re-counting; however, the facts remain the same. After showering, Hubs, for a reason not yet disclosed, proceeded to saunter through the house naked, without a stitch of clothing, modesty unheeded.

Feeling a need for nourishment, he selected not cereal, not eggs, not toast or even fruit, but Oreos. Then, he settled himself, still naked, in front of the TV.

Sometime later, I emerged from my slumber. Pulling on my robe, I stumbled groggily to the living room, just in time to see my husband's childhood pal pull into the drive. Announcing our guest's arrival, I noticed my husband's attire, or lack thereof.

Not fully awake, I instructed Hubs to remain in the chair. Meanwhile, Sam, the friend, had bounded from his car and was rapidly approaching the door. Hubs shot me a look which confirmed the insanity of my request and grabbed the Oreos. He dashed to the bedroom, leaving behind a tell-tale trail of Oreo cookies all the way down the hallway.

When questioned as to motive, Hubs simply stated it was freedom of expression. He can eat Oreos in the nude on any Sunday morning he wished. After all, it is a free country. *eye roll*

Zucchini Oatmeal Sandwich cookies are more like Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies than Oreos, and you could eat them while sitting naked in your favorite chair watching TV, but you certainly don't have to. In fact, I even think I would prefer not to know if you do. OK? Unless it is a really great story of getting caught in the act...maybe.


(adapted from Martha Stewart)

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely grated zucchini
1 cup old-fashioned oats
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350F.
Beat 1/2 cup of the butter (save remaining 1/4 cup for cream cheese filling) and sugars until pale and fluffy.
Beat in egg and vanilla.
Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Mix in grated zucchini and oats.
Refrigerate until firm, about an hour.
Using a medium cookie scoop (I might have used a small...I only have one.), drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets (I used Silpat and had problems with sticking. I think the parchment is essential.), spacing about 2 inches apart.
Bake until edges are golden, about 17 minutes.
Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before placing on wire rack.
Cool on a wire rack. (The cookies are tender and crumbly when fresh from the oven. I let them cool on the rack overnight in order to dry out a bit and firm up for ease of spreading the filling.)
Beat together remaining 1/4 cup of butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth.
Spread 1 heaping tablespoon filling onto the flat side of 1 cookie, and sandwich with another cookie.
Repeat with remaining cookies. 
Store loosely covered with waxed paper between layers of cookies. (Makes 2 dozen, approx.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails