Thursday, July 05, 2007

Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself

There are times when life flies by at about 100 mph, and amazingly, you manage to keep up. There are times when crazy things happen, and you deal with it, and somehow manage to survive. There are times when everything happens all at once, and you manage to juggle it all and still come out on top...or at least not on the bottom. Then, there are times when you want it all to just slow down. You yearn for comfort and calm. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Today, even though it is hot and humid outside, I am putting some comfort food On My Plate. I have been on the go-go path for a few days and need to slow down and take care of myself. Nothing says soothing solace to me like a warm bowl of tomato soup. Of course, I can't have tomato soup without a grilled cheese, and my slightly non-traditional version dresses it up with spinach. I don't care that the weather is more suited to salad than soup. I need the relief of comfort foods. It is time to check myself.

Soothing Tomato Soup

½ cup onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 cup milk

In a saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
Stir in seasoned tomatoes (with juice), soup, and milk.
With a wand blender, whirl soup until desired consistency.
Bring almost to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. (Serves 4)


Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Spinach and Bacon

½ bag fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
¼-1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons mustard
4-8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
4-8 slices grainy bread
butter

Mix spinach, Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, and crumbled bacon until well blended.
Spread on whole grain bread.
Butter bread and toast on hot griddle. (Serves 2-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails