Saturday, October 22, 2011

After School Treat

I am back to spending more time at the school these days. Last year, one situation after another caused me to be unable to accept the offers when the school was looking to fill substitute positions. So far this year, I have been able to work most of the days they have called, and I like it. I enjoy being back with the students and staff in the local halls of education. 

After a day with an elementary class, I almost always return home with amusing stories. The kids love to chat and are never afraid to share their thoughts. How a child's mind works and processes bits of information is amazing. Jr. High and High School students often prompt thoughtful discussion, digging deep in a direction that I hadn't considered taking a topic. We all learn and broaden our minds. 

We also all work up big appetites. I don't know what it is about studying all day that leaves me starving when I return home. I could eat anything that isn't nailed down, and often do. Thankfully, I have a batch of Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies waiting for me to tame my growling stomach. 

Shredding the last few zucchini from the garden (and freezing several portions for cakes, cookies, and bars this winter), I was happy to discover a cookie recipe to use some of the bounty. You may remember past posts when I have stated that I am not a baker and that I don't care to bake cookies, but those feelings were pushed aside as I attempted to find a way to use zucchini that wasn't baked into a cake with cream cheese frosting. Yes, I heart cream cheese frosting, but after awhile, enough is enough.

These cookies are soft and delicately spiced with cinnamon. Instead of regular chocolate chips, I chose large chocolate drops which seemed to intensify the chocolate flavor. I find the flecks of green zucchini skin (peel if you must, but I don't) to add visual interest and a bit of texture to balance the walnuts. Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect after school treat On My Plate.



1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups zucchini, grated
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2-2 cups walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350.
Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with Parchment paper.
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into the butter mixture, gradually; mix well.
Stir in the zucchini.
Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheets...since these are soft cake-like cookies, allow about 2 inches between cookies for spreading in the oven.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. (My oven only needed 15 minutes.)
Cool 2 to 3 minutes on the baking sheets, then remove and place on wire racks to allow to cook completely.
(approx 8 dozen cookies)

4 comments:

  1. I'll be trying these cookies soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm wondering if these can be made into bars? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know. They are a soft cookie, and baked in a sheet pan, they might be more of a cake than a bar-cookie...like the Spiced Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting.

      However, I am not a baker and don't take a lot of chances with baking recipes. Go for it, and let me know.

      Delete
  3. The cookies are baked! They turned out wonderful! I was scared at first because the dough was REALLY dry. I used half whole wheat flour and half unbleached flour. I also used half splenda and half sugar, along with egg beaters instead of regular whole eggs. Oh and the biggest substitution was for the zucchini--I used finely grated buttercup squash (peel and all!)mixed with finely grated carrots.
    The dough was extremely dry before I stirred in my veggie mixture, but then it moistened up quite a bit and I ended up with a standard cookie dough consistency. I baked mine for 15mins and they were nice and golden brown. I'm sure these would work as bars since they're cakey..and that's what I love about them! Plus, the flecks of green and orange from the vegetables!
    Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails