Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Why Just Blogging Is Enough

I hear it all the time from the real bloggers: "This is not a hobby, it is a business."

I hear it all the time from well-meaning readers and friends: "You should have a restaurant/cafe/catering business/cooking show or classes."

Thank you. It is very flattering that you all think that I am capable of making this fun little venture into something more. It is awesome that you look to my future and see big dreams for me. You are wonderful. It is great to have such total support.

But, the reality is that this IS my hobby. This is an effective release for me. I like cooking. I like sharing it. End of story.

I am happy letting this all be fun and games. I am happy with good food On My Plate and still some of my menus being flops. I am happy with typing silly, little stories and sharing recipes. Maybe someday, I might want to expand my horizons. Maybe someday, just blogging for fun might not be enough for me. When that day comes, I will take the next step. But, for now, I just want to cook and eat and share and enjoy. 

I love your support. I love your comments and praise. Who wouldn't? But my ego gets kept in check within the reality of my kitchen. I am a real cook (not a chef or in any way a professional) that screws things up and honestly can't follow a recipe to save myself. I am an amateur with a cheap camera that often takes fuzzy photos in bad lighting. I get too wordy in most of my posts and discover embarrassing typos nearly every time AFTER I publish. But, I like to share what is On My Plate. I love to hear that you enjoy the posts, made the food for your family and friends, and even appreciate knowing when things don't quite work out.

Pasta with Zucchini, Bacon, and Goat Cheese fits that theme of ego check. I have made this meal no less than 4 times since recently pulling the recipe from an old Bon Appetit magazine. We heart veggie and pasta dishes, and this is a variation of something that we have prepared for years. Using ingredients that I usually have on hand (goat cheese being the only specific item that I would have to add to the shopping list), it fit very well into our menu rotation. I haven't yet shared it because I can't seem to get a good pic. The first time I made it, Hubs didn't get home from the farm until after 10pm...no light for a photo then. The second time, I seriously overcooked the zucchini and while the dish was still tasty, it was U.G.L.Y. Both the third and fourth times this dish graced our table, I should have checked the forecast because cloudy weather prevented good photos. 

I snapped a pic anyway. I am sharing it anyway. If I was blogging for a sponsor, that wouldn't work. If I was serving the dish to the public, the less than perfect presentation wouldn't work. The pasta is still delicious. We still ate it and will eat it again. We love good food and Pasta with Zucchini, Bacon, and Goat Cheese is the kind of good food that makes just blogging more than enough On My Plate.



12 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
3 cups pasta (use your favorite shape, rotini works well)
3 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch half-moons
1 1/2 cups chopped tomato (seeded)
1/3 cup chopped fresh oregano
1 cup soft, fresh goat cheese (crumbled)

Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. 
Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. 
Pour off all but 4 tablespoons drippings from skillet.
Add onion and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. 
Add zucchini and toss with onion and coat with bacon dripping, saute lightly. (It should be tender, but still crisp.)
Add wine; boil until reduced by 1/3, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until slightly underdone. 
Drain.
Add pasta, bacon, tomatoes, and oregano to zucchini and onion in skillet. 
Toss over medium-high heat until sauce coats pasta, about 3 minutes. 
Add cheese and toss until beginning to melt, about 2 minutes. 
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. (Serves 6)

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%! It's a hobby, I do it for me, not to have 5000 subscribers or 500 comments or make any money. I do, however, get a thrill when TS or FG publish one of my pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your rant, and yes, blogging is about sharing what you like:)

    the pasta looks lovely! I'm hosting Presto pasta Nights this week on my blog. It'd be great if you could participate by sending in this lovely recipe!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I recently published a post about why I believe all blogging should be viewed as a business, ironically enough, your position proves most of what I wrote. What I mean by that is that you know, deeply, why you are doing what you are doing. You know what you want out of it and what you don't. It doesn't have to be about money at all! So many more bloggers would benefit from taking a long look at the same issues and making those kinds of decisions for themselves. I applaud your clarity and your boundaries! In fact, I think your blog most likely is so well-received because you are true to yourself when you post.

    Keep up the great work!

    Best,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails