Sunday, July 01, 2007

Fruit of the Sea

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it." That's a lot of shrimp, but Bubba Blue (of Forrest Gump fame) didn't mention my favorite, Garlic Shrimp.

Never was there such a perfect pairing as garlic and shrimp. The sweet, tender shrimp give way to the delicious, mellow flavor of the garlic and make my mouth water for more. One of my favorite quick and easy recipes originally comes from the Top Secret Recipes site. It is claimed to be a clone of a menu item from Chili's, but I have never sampled it there. I am happy making Spicy Garlic and Lime Shrimp at home to land On My Plate.

Spicy Garlic and Lime Shrimp

2 tablespoons butter
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 pound fresh large shrimp, peeled
1 lime
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Make the seasoning blend by combining all the spices in a small bowl.
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
Add butter to the pan.
When the butter is melted, stir in the pressed garlic.
Immediately, add the shrimp to the pan.
Cut the lime in half and squeeze each half into the pan over the shrimp.
Sprinkle the entire seasoning blend over the shrimp, and give it all a good stir.
Saute the shrimp for 5 to 8 minutes or until they begin to brown.
Be sure to cook both sides of all the shrimp. (Serves 4)

1 comment:

  1. My God. I just made this after reading it (I stumbled across this blog via StumbleUpon, which led me to TasteSpotting, which in turn brought me to you) and must say, it's AMAZING! I'm a guy who loves him some shrimp, and this was magnificent! Easy, too. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails