Monday, November 17, 2014

National Peanut Butter Lovers Month

Did you know that November is National Peanut Butter Lovers Month? No? Neither, did I. Until yesterday. Yesterday, I noticed a tweet about #pblovers, and my interested was piqued.

I can't say that my preference for peanut butter falls into the big puffy heart love stage. I like it. I think it can be fabulous. Occasionally, I crave it, but it isn't something that I HAVE TO HAVE on a daily basis.

Hubs has a thing for peanut butter pie, and I have made several. There was Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie recreated after hearing a woman in the diner booth behind me beg for the recipe. Jennifer Perillo's heartache and Pie for Mikey inspired me to make a friend's Peanut Butter Pie. And, both Black Bottom Peanut Butter Pie and Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie with Pretzel Crust celebrated Pi Day.

It wouldn't be Christmas without Peanut Butter Bon Bons. Peanut Butter Sheet Cake graced a puppy birthday party. I ate my weight in Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats. And, even though they start with a box mix, Peanut Butter Brownies are always a treat.

While Hubs can eat enough Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to kill a small horse, I can take them or leave them. I won't, however, turn down a peanut blossom cookie topped with that iconic chocolate Kiss. I spread toast thick with peanut butter (smooth perferably) and drizzle with honey or add another decadent layer with a smear of Nutella. Sometimes, I do eat peanut butter with a spoon.

One pairing for peanut butter that I think is absolutely perfect is Banana Bread. There is just something about slathering the rich, nutty butter over a slice of dense, sweet homemade banana bread. Do you know what takes it over the top? Bacon.

I know. Bacon has been so over done. After all, who really needs bacon lip balm? But, trust me. Do it. Peanut Butter and Bacon Banana Bread Sandwiches can inspire love.


4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 cups flour
1 cup walnuts, chopped

For sandwiches:
smooth peanut butter
bacon, cooked until crisp

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 4.5"x8.5" loaf pan with baking spray.
Cream butter and brown sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until fluffy.
Add baking powder and salt.
Stir in bananas and maple syrup.
Add flour and mix just until blended.
Stir in walnuts.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack and let cool completely.
For sandwiches: slice 1/2-inch thick slices from the bread. Spread with peanut butter and top with bacon.
(Reserve remaining banana bread for snacking...or more sandwiches.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fran:)
    Thanks for posting this intriguing recipe. I will be pinning it to my Peanut Butter Lovers' Month Pinterest board for safe keeping:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails