Monday, July 16, 2007

Pyromania

I am obsessed with our fire pit. It was over 90 degrees on Sunday with humidity that you could cut with a knife, and I insisted that we have a fire on the patio during an impromptu dinner party with friends. The smokey smell of the burning wood takes me back to the fun times of camping and just says party to me. I stare into the crackling fire and hop up with my can of lighter fluid when I don't think that the flames are high enough. My friends giggle as my Fire Department Hubby scolds me. The fire pit truly brings out the pyromaniac in me.

The open fire also inspires me to get creative with party appetizers. I have already proclaimed my love of sweet s'mores for dessert. What about a savory one to get the party started? Mozarella S'Mores are a flavorful, gooey, melted bite of love from the fire pit. The sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil cut from my herb garden, and the garlic rubbed toasts are held together by the flame roasted cheese. Who doesn't like melted cheese? Who doesn't like playing with fire? Mozarella S'Mores are a pyromaniac's dream On My Plate.

Mozarella S'Mores

16 sun-dried tomatoes
8 ounces FRESH mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 pieces
16 FRESH basil leaves
16 slices baguette, toasted and rubbed with garlic

Place the tomatoes in an attractive serving bowl.
Arrange the mozzarella, basil leaves, and grilled bread or crackers in bowls or on a platter.
Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. In the best of all worlds, you'd use a charcoal grill, raking the embers into a pile at the bottom of the grill and leaving off the grill grate. If using a gas grill, preheat it super hot.
Skewer a cube of mozzarella. Roast it over the fire, turning the skewer to evenly melt the cheese. If using a gas grill, you'll need to bring it as close as possible to the fire without touching the grate. When the mozzarella begins to melt and brown, after 1 to 2 minutes over charcoal, a little longer over gas, use a knife or fork to scrape the cheese off the skewer onto a piece of grilled bread. Never attempt to eat the melted cheese directly off the hot skewer — you'll burn your lips. Top the cheese with a basil leaf and a piece of sun-dried tomato and place a second piece of grilled bread on top. Eat at once.
NOTE: Sun-dried tomatoes come in two forms: oil-packed and dried. Oil-packed tomatoes just need to be drained before you use them. The dried kind need to be soaked in water and marinated in olive oil. To reconstitute the tomatoes, place them in a heatproof bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let soak for 1 hour. Drain the tomatoes well and blot dry. Toss with the olive oil. (Makes 16 pieces)

1 comment:

  1. I think the fire pit sounds so fun! And the savory s'mores look delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails