Saturday, August 16, 2008

Peter Piper Picked A Peck of Pickled Peppers

Peter Piper is famous for picking his peppers. Good for him. I wish for a peck of peppers. It seems that the pepper plants in my little raised garden bed are slow to mature this year. They are only just beginning to set on tiny little peppers. Picking will be peck of time down the road. This schedule has left me a little worried. The calendar may say August, but our first frost can't be that far away. I hope they make it as I have plans for those colorful globes of flavor.

Honestly, I am truly not that much of a pepper fan. I can't seem to properly digest raw peppers. The result is always a horrible heartburn. However, Hubby and friends are great fans of a Pepper Slaw with Chipotle Dressing that I discovered a few years ago. They claim that it has the perfect blend of full flavors. I will take their word for it. I do know that it smells great, is beautiful to look at, and seems to be a great side for almost any grilled dinner. I don't know if it is worth a bottle of Tums for me to enjoy, but I am really glad that someone does. When I can pick a peck of peppers, Pepper Slaw with Chipotle Dressing will land On My Plate...or someone's. ;~)

Pepper Slaw with Chipotle Dressing

5 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons honey
5 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 large red bell pepper, seeded, sliced
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded, sliced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded, sliced

Puree first 6 ingredients in blender. (Can be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated.)
Toss sliced bell peppers and dressing together in a large bowl.
Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours. (Serves 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails