Monday, April 02, 2007

Pulling My Weight

Hubby's business requires long hours and hard physical labor. He works hard, and is usually exhausted by the time that he gets home. I am far from a princess, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't keep up with the schedule that he maintains. If I had to work in his shoes for just one day, I would be a worn out, blubbering mess. I do try to help out by keeping up-to-date with the bookwork and office issues. I also try to pull my own weight by providing some of the meals when extra crews come in for special projects.

This past week, we had sheep shearers at the farm. This means serving meals for an extra 10 or so guys, in addition to the normal crew. Guys that work hard need a hearty meal. I felt that Pulled Pork fit those needs perfectly. It easily serves lots of people, and is satisfying without being so filling that work after lunch is impossible. Of course, baked beans and coleslaw make a full meal with the pork, and in the spring, a strawberry angel food dessert is a must. A well-fed crew is a happy crew, and the lambs are soon shorn to perfection when I pull my weight with Pulled Pork.

Ultimate Pulled Pork
1 whole pork butt
Pork Rub
½ cup black pepper
½ cup paprika
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
Molasses Barbecue Sauce
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup molasses
¼ cup chopped plum tomatoes
3 tablespoons shallots (or onions), minced
2 tablespoons pitted dates, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced

For rub: mix all ingredients in a bowl.
For sauce: Combine in nonreactive saucepan, bring to boil and simmer until it reduces to 1 1/2 cups.
For pork: Rub pork with rub.
Place in Plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
Take out pork and re-rub.
Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
Roast on rack uncovered in oven at 250-275 degrees until falling apart tender.
It will take 7-8 hours, the internal temperature of the pork when done should be between 195 and 200 degrees.
Pull pork into pieces, toss with sauce.
Serve with extra sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails