Sunday, July 26, 2009

J-J-J-Juicy!

Early this summer, I took a detour on the way home from Sioux Falls and zipped up to Arlington to visit the greenhouse of an old high school friend. I loaded up with heirloom tomato plants, a gorgeous Fuchsia plant, and a multitude of other assorted bedding plants as we filled each other in on the current happenings in our lives and laughed about old times. It was a great visit, but all too soon, I had to hit the road home. That is when things got j-j-j-juicy. As I crossed the lake-filled countryside, my windshield was soon splattered with some of the juiciest bugs I have ever encountered. I couldn't help but think of the refrain of a Better Than Ezra song, "J-j-j-juicy...Aw, ooh, aw, ooh, yeah yeah yeah. Juicy."

A few weeks ago, I had to make a trip to the southeastern corner of the state. Hubby joined me, and on the way home, we felt that we were doing our due diligence to reduce the mosquito population. Thousands of the juicy buggers found their death with splats on my windshield. Summer is here, and it is j-j-j-juicy.

The best juiciness of summer is certainly not the bugs, though. It is the fruits. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, nectarines, apricots, cherries, and of course, peaches are all ripe and juicy. Unlike splattered bug guts, lush fruits make me want to sing j-j-j-juicy praises.


I have nothing but praise for some cute little fruity desserts that allowed me to finally really use the assortment of ramekins that I have been collecting from World Market. Hubby is neither a peach, nor a blueberry fan, but he loved the combination in some Individual Fruit Cobblers that I first whipped up last summer. This dessert is so simple and the juiciness of the fruits is really showcased in every bite. I served it with scoops of vanilla ice cream on the still warm cobblers. Yum. Yum. Yum. This is a j-j-j-juicy that I want to splat right On My Plate.

Individual Fruit Cobblers

1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup fresh peaches, sliced and peeled
1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Combine first four ingredients in small bowl.
Combine milk and melted butter; stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
Pour into two greased 8-oz. ramekins.

Top with fruit.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is tender.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. (Serves 2)

5 comments:

  1. These look very delicate and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're adorable! And they also look deliciously simple. Will definitely give these a try! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious!! We went to the farmers' market this weekend and bought our first peaches of the season, so this will be a great way to feature them. Thanks for the great recipe - I'll be able to use my new Gordon Ramsey ramekins for the first time, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juicy bugs and juicy fruits!
    These little cobblers look like my kind of treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm,great photo! Looks good!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails