Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Eighteen Wheels and an Egg Salad Sandwich

Yep. You got it right. Today, I am on the road. Today, I am trucking. A few months ago, Hubby started purchasing a liquid feed supplement that is a by-product of converting the corn at an area ethanol plant. It is a daily part of the rations for the lambs, and he uses a lot. Consequently, it wasn’t long before the shipping charges were overtaking us. The solution? Purchase a tanker truck and haul it ourselves. Hubby makes the trip at least once, if not twice, a week to maintain his supply. Today, I am joining him.

We don’t get to spend a lot of time together. His work (including these trips) keeps him quite busy. When he is home, he is exhausted and his eyes close shortly after he settles into his big leather chair. I decided that I would adjust my schedule to allow us a bit of together time when he had to stay awake (at least I hope that he will be awake; he IS driving).

The travel plan for this trip is tight. Lunch for Hubby is often a tuna meal kit in the truck while he is loading at the plant. At the last minute, I decided that a picnic in the truck sleeper would be fun for us. Unfortunately, I decided this after it was too late to gather any picnic supplies. I had to make due with what I had on hand. A survey of the fridge found some eggs, and the memory of an Avocado and Egg Salad that I had once prepared came to me. Yum! That would be great for picnic sandwiches. I prepped some fresh veggies, baked a few cookies from the tub of peanut butter and chocolate chunk dough purchased from a school fundraiser , and had the makings of a picnic underway. It would be a fun trip and provide us both with a little release.

As I am waiting this morning for Hubby to return from his morning chores and start the road trip, a realization has hit me. I am traveling with my Hubby. I plan to feed this man eggs and stay in a very confined place with him for over 300 miles. Pray for me.

Avocado and Egg Salad
1 ripe avocado
1 hard-boiled egg
3-4 tablespoons chopped green onions
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
paprika
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

Cut ripe avocado into chunks and toss with lemon juice.
Chop egg; add to avocado.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Spread between slices of whole grain bread for a sandwich, or serve on a bed of lettuce as a salad. (Serves 2)

3 comments:

  1. Ha Ha Ha.. Like your quick thinking and love your after thought of being in a confined space with your hubby after eggs! This recipe looks so easy and sounds so good. Curious as to if the lemon juice helps keeps the avacado from turning brown or is it for flavor? Praying for a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the lemon juice is intended to help preserve the avocado. However, since I don't really measure anything, I most likely use more and like how it perks up what could be a pretty bland egg salad. I often add more green onions and a little cayenne pepper, too. My tastes lean toward more of a deviled egg salad with the kick of mustard, but I can't resist this one with the avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I hope you didn't have to ride all the way with your head stuck out the window. :)

    Yay for your spontaneity! Glad you were able to take off on a road trip with your hubby, and your impromptu picnic made it even more special. Fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails