Saturday, November 08, 2014

Bad Publicity

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity, and it seems that many of the current advertising companies out there agree with this sentiment.

I don't.

I see an insipid commercial and immediately back away from whatever product they are hawking. I have never purchased a certain brand of pistachios that are supposedly synonymous with awesome. And after I heard someone comment on the grossness of the smacking sounds in a breakable chocolate bar ad, I can't bring myself to buy one without visualizing open-mouthed eating. However, since I seldom throw these items into my grocery cart, these were not major boycotts.

But with Thanksgiving approaching, I am facing a huge dilemma. King's Hawaiian Rolls have always been a necessary item on my Thanksgiving grocery shopping list. As good as I believe they are, they were never served with the holiday meal. I required these slightly sweet rolls for the perfect leftover sandwich: split the soft bun, spread on tart cranberry sauce, spoon on savory, sage-y stuffing, add sliced turkey (a little white and dark meat), pour over gravy, heat it all, and cap with the top of the bun. Perfection.

But, have you seen their latest commercial? with the sucking? a family sucking the rolls into their mouth? It, honestly, sucks. Big time.

What am I to do? Do I hold myself to my own code of conduct and shun those delicious buns because an ad agency was stupid? Or, do I overlook the vacuous publicity and still indulge in that perfect leftover sandwich? It really is perfect. That sandwich might be the entire reason I want to cook turkey and dressing and gravy and cranberry sauce. What is a girl who believes in bad publicity, but loves a good sandwich to do?

While I am debating, I think I will distract myself by changing up a Thanksgiving side. I have shared our favorite Chiffonade of Brussels Sprouts and Green Beans in Mushroom Sauce, but how about a different version of green beans for the holiday table?

Thanksgiving Green Beans almost seem beefy with a sauce including Worcestershire. It makes them a hearty standout on the Turkey Day table even before I mention the bacon and diced roasted red peppers. Yes. Bacon and roasted red peppers. And, the sauce is made with the bacon drippings. Yes. O.M.G.  No bad publicity here, just delicious beans.


1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and rinsed
6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
a few dashes Tabasco
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped (from a jar...or make your own, they are pretty easy)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the green beans and cook for 3-4 minutes, until tender crisp. Drain.
Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a large skillet until crispy.
Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside; reserve the drippings
Reduce the heat to low and stir the Worcestershire sauce, honey, dry mustard and Tabasco into the bacon drippings.
When sauce is warmed and combined, toss with the green beans to coat, add the roasted red peppers, and most of the bacon.
Garnish with the remainder of the bacon. (Serves 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails