Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Glitter in the Air

This morning, I joined an auditorium of people in celebrating the life of a long time friend who last week lost her battle with cancer. I sat in that room with countless people sharing their memories and thoughts and heard one word echo endlessly.

Passion.

My friend, Diane, lived with passion. True. Complete. Total. Real. I-Don't-Give-A-Rat's-Behind-What-You-Think; This.Is.What.I. Know.Is.Real. Passion.

She gave herself fully to her family, her students, her interests, and her beliefs. She didn't hold back, and she encouraged each of us to do the same.

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said,
'I just don't care.'?"

   

I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with her and her family in the week before she passed. When I arrived at her home, I told her I was there to do her bidding. She simply asked me to cook. Late into the night when her steroids refused to let her mind calm, I crafted lists of menu items and she suggested the danish I had once prepared for a camping trip we shared with another high school friend. I quickly added the ingredients to my grocery list, and before my stay ended, I made three (!!!) batches of these easy, delicious Cream Cheese Danish for everyone to scarf down. I am glad my simple contribution made her happy. And now, I reflect on how even in her own last days, she nurtured me and my passion for cooking by giving me a platform to shine.

Passion.

Hers.

Mine.

Ours.

That was Diane.

She will be missed. Very much.



3 (10 ounce) cans crescent roll dough
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sour cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon butter, softened


Preheat oven to 350F.
Slice (unrolled) crescent roll dough into 1/4 inch slices (as if making slice-and-bake cookie dough)...I usually manage 12-16 slices per roll depending on my mood when cutting.
Place slices of dough on cookie sheet and make slight indention in the middle.
In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese, white sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and sour cream.
Add a tablespoon of filling to each roll.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and butter.
Drizzle with icing. (36-48 danish...depending on slices)

5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. She sounded like an inspiration to those who knew her. Thanks for sharing so that she could be an inspiration for us to go out and live life to its fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your talents and own personal passion with those of us who are looking for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me cry, Frankie. She clearly loved you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should all live with passion, however, I usually find myself living with things undone. I am glad you got to spend time with her before her passing, those are the memories to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your loss, dear friend. xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails