Monday, July 09, 2012

Independence

I had planned to share this recipe for the Fourth of July. Time got away from me before the holiday, but when I tucked into bed and shut my eyes on July 3rd, I thought I would have a little time to get this posted here on the blog on the fourth.

Then on July 4th, I awoke a little after 5am to find an intruder in my house. In! My! House! He was drunk/high and out of his mind with hallucinations that he had to retrieve someone or something from my front closet. Thankfully, he was neither destructive, nor aggressive, and willingly left when I told him to (in my best unpleasant substitute teacher voice). The Sheriff's department caught him a few blocks away.

Wild way to start Independence Day, huh? Things like this just don't happen in our small town of 300ish people, and needless to say, it has caused a little uneasiness among our residents. Doors are all locked now...and double checked.

Anyway, enough of the crazy what-is-this-world-coming-to-ness. I don't have to be home alone and kicking out an intruder to declare my independence. I can do it with a delicious dessert. I think I have mentioned previously that Hubs isn't a fan of peaches. I am a fan. A big fan. Therefore, baking a pan of scrumptious sweetness is my declaration of independence.

Peach and Blueberry Cobbler screams summer for me. I love the contrast of the tart, juicy peaches and plump, sweet blueberries. It is the kind of old-fashioned dessert you expect to happen in a small town for the Fourth of July. (And, don't believe for one minute that Hubs didn't eat several warm servings with scoops of creamy vanilla ice cream.)

Three plates and forks: 
one for me,
one for Hubs,
one for whatever gremlin the intruder thought was in my closet.

(adapted from Cooking Light)

5 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
juice of one lemon
1 cup sugar, divided
3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar


Preheat oven to 375F.
Place peaches in a large bowl with lemon juice, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons flour; toss to coat.
Coat a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.
Arrange the peach mixture evenly in the pan.
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
In the mixing bowl, beat 1/4 cup sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and vanilla extract.
Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture.
Beat just until combined.
Fold in blueberries by hand, taking care not to crush.
Spread batter evenly over peach mixture.
(This is where I ran into a snag. My dough was too thick to spread. I dropped by spoonfuls to cover the peaches, and gently pulled them together on top with a rubber spatula.)
Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake at 375F for 1 hour, or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. (Serves 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails