Friday, October 19, 2007

A Good Kind of Crabby

Recently, I have been accused often of being crabby. I wasn't happy with a lot of things that were going on, and I wasn't dealing with anything effectively. I was crabby, very crabby. Some things that were rubbing me the wrong way have changed, but I still have adjustments to make to totally conquer my crabbiness. Just like everyone, I am a work in progress.

One thing that I won't change at all is Spicy Cajun Crab Soup. It is a good kind of crabby. Our recent stint of cold, gray, rainy weather begged for soup, and this was a great way to warm up and fill up after a long day. Lumps of rich crab meat swimming in a spicy broth with tomatoes, onions, and spinach is incredible. Be sure to use a good quality Cajun seasoning, as it can make or break the soup. I like a lot of flavor and that nice heat left in the back of the throat after each spoonful. This soup doesn't disappoint when served up with cornbread. Add a salad to the meal and invite over some friends. It is that good.

This soup might even edge out our favorite Potato and Crab Chowder as the best crabby soup. Crabby is good with it produces a great meal On My Plate.

Spicy Cajun Crab Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup diced onion
¼ cup flour
3-5 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 ½ cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound lump crab meat

Melt butter and oil together in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté until tender and translucent.
Whisk in flour until smooth and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
Add Cajun seasoning to taste and stir well.
Add chicken broth and stir until smooth.
Stir in tomatoes with juices and simmer on medium-low heat for about 3 more minutes.
Add spinach, thyme and garlic. Cook just until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
Add crab meat and heat through, stirring gently to preserve the large chunks of crab.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Serves 6.)

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see your blog return! I want some soup, and some eggplant parm, and a fajita turkey burger. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails