Thursday, November 10, 2011

Oh, Kay?

This post really should be just an email to a friend. She was looking for different side dishes for her Thanksgiving table, and I suggested an old favorite of Chiffonade of Brussels Sprouts. I should quickly type the recipe into an email and merrily send it off to her, but I am a food blogger. Food bloggers share recipes with lots of people, not just a chosen few. So, lucky you, you get a recap of a recipe that I originally blogged back in 2007 with the menu for a prime rib feast we devoured for Christmas.

This is an adaptable recipe. Sometimes, I add chopped onion to the bacon fat after I crisp that delicious pork. Sometimes, I feel guilty about the bacon fat and drain some of it off and add a little chicken broth for sauteing the shredded Brussels sprouts. Sometimes, I use pecans instead of hazelnuts, or skip the nuts all together. This recipe has evolved with my needs, wants, and desires and has never, ever disappointed. Some may be loyal to their Green Bean Casserole for holiday dinners, but I think I will be making and sharing Chiffonade of Brussels Sprouts for years to come.

(adapted from Food.com and originally from Diane Morgan)
2 pounds Brussels sprouts
6 slices bacon, finely diced
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped and roasted
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Trim the stem end of the sprouts and clean to remove any yellow or spotted out leaves.
Using your food processor, shred the sprouts. (I have done this by hand with a box grater. Believe me, your knuckles will thank you for the investment in a food processor.)
Cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp.
Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain. (Here is where you snack on a little...that is why I increased the bacon from the original recipe.)
Set aside.
To the bacon fat, add the shredded sprouts.
Saute until crisp-tender and bright green, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the bacon, toasted hazelnuts, salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
Taste, adjust seasonings and serve. (Serves 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails