Friday, June 11, 2010

Fridge Friday, episode 6

Week 6 of Fridge Friday? Can you believe that I have actually kept up with this? Can you believe that I haven't made excuses and put it off and let is slide? Yes. I am still here, and frankly, it amazes me. My focus seems to be pulled in so many directions these days that my stick-to-it-ness suffers greatly. But, this *is* about food. Food does hold my attention...too much of the time, according to the every-growing size of my butt. But, I don't want to talk about my butt. Want to see my fridge?


So...what am I going to make? I am in the mood for a salad again. It is summer time. Thunderstorms moved through the region last night, and you can cut the humidity with a knife. Something crisp and refreshing would be good, but it has to be hearty and filling for my Midwestern appetite. I don't want to eat a big bowl of greens only to have hunger and cravings force me to dive face first into a pan of brownies a few hours later. A few years ago, I found a recipe online for a Broiled Feta and Caper Salad. Melty cheese AND crisp greens AND capers? Be still my heart. Grab the fixings and let's start cooking.


Did I mention that this salad has capers? I don't care if the sodium level is through the roof. 
I.Can't.Get.Enough.Of.Those.Salty.Little.Buds.


Broiled Feta and Caper Salad is truly a masterpiece with contrasts in flavors and textures. The crisp, sturdy romaine stands up well to the warm, gooey feta. Thin sliced red onions add depth that balances the pert, little capers. And what isn't better with tomatoes, basil, a drizzle of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. Nom. Nom. Nom. This is not a puny salad. There will be no hunger diving with Broiled Feta and Caper Salad On My Plate.



4 slices feta cheese (about 1/2-inch thick)
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil (chose a fruity one for this simple dressing)
4 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
fresh ground black pepper
4 lemon wedges

Preheat oven to BROIL.
Place the feta slices on a parchment lined baking sheet and broil until lightly browned.
On 4 salad plates divide and arrange the lettuce. 
Garnish with the onion slices.
Place a slice of the broiled feta cheese on top of each lettuce-onion mound. 
Place 2 tomato slices on each.
Drizzle the olive oil over the mixture and top with the capers and basil. 
Sprinkle each serving with black pepper.
Garnish a lemon wedge on top of each serving. (Serves 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails