Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sugar Hangover

How many of you are in a sugar hangover? Were there too many sweets and treats this Christmas season? Christmas Day may have passed, but there is no reason that the sugar overload has to stop.

Last year, I made some Butter Pecan Fudge that was *fabulous*. I had hoped to share it with you here, but it was gone before I could snap a photo. This year, I have managed to save a piece, and even though most of us are groaning that we can't handle another sugar cookie, peppermint stick, or chocolate covered peanut, you really should find an excuse to make a pan of this. I know it is December 26, but who says that the sugar high must end?



1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar

Line an 8-inch baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
In a large saucepan, bring the butter, heavy cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Allow to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove the pan from the heat.
Stir in the pecans and vanilla.
Sift in the powdered sugar, and stir until smooth and well combined. (I REALLY do recommend the sifting. It eliminates any lumps in the powdered sugar and makes the stirring that much easier.)
Spread the mixture into prepared baking dish.
Allow to cool to room temperature.
Lift entire "block" of fudge from the baking pan to cut into 1-inch cubes. (This is where the foil comes in handy and makes cutting perfect little cubes easier.)
Store in air-tight container...if there is any left.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays Fran, you have the sugar hangover that I wanted, but didn't get because illness took over our Christmas. I will have to bake some sugar cookies one of these days because that is what I missed almost a much as the family that couldn't get together. I hear there is a lot of crud going around. I saw the doctor yesterday and he officially diagnosed this as "crud" LOL My doc is funny.

    RE: the previous post by you......One day when I was about to get caught with dirty dishes...........(reason being that our old dishwasher would also "washed" the floor whenever it was run)..........I hid them in the oven planning to do them later. So, the kitchen was all nice and tidy when I opened the door to unexpected visitors. One has to be creative, like you, and speedy when one sees a car in the driveway and the sink is full of dirty dishes..... The next day when I preheated the over, I found out what happens to Tupperware at 350 degres. LOL Did I mention how forgetful I am sometimes?

    Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, So sorry to hear that you were under the weather for the holidays. Lots of creeping crud going around. I hope you get your sugar cookies.

    I have always been leering of hiding dishes in the oven. I *KNOW* that I would forget them and have an awful mess. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you.......now we need to hunker down for the big storm.....and maybe to make "cookies".
    Yum........

    Congrats on the nod from the Post 5.

    Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails