Monday, April 23, 2007

RED



RED is my obsession. It started with my RED Kitchenaid Mixer. Hubby had told me that he wanted to make the purchase for my birthday a few years ago. Some women might be insulted with a kitchen item as a gift, but I was thrilled. A Kitchenaid Mixer had been on my wish list for ages (and more of necessity after an unfortunate incident involving wedding mints left my old mixer out of service). However, at the time of my birthday, I couldn't decide what color I wanted. The pink was so cute; the gunmetal so serious; the tangerine so fun; the cobalt so cool; the white so predictable and boring. RED kept popping into my mind and finally, 3 months after my birthday, I placed the order for the spanking new, RED, bad boy of a mixer. When it arrived, I was in love and the seed of RED obsession was planted.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I determine that an iPod would be a great accessory for my workouts. I debated features and storage capacity. I checked out various sources for purchasing, but when the Apple website unveiled the RED Nano, my mind was made up. I needed a RED iPod; I wanted a RED iPod; I would have a RED iPod.

Jump to the next Christmas, and Hubby once again thinks that the best gift is to knock an item off of my kitchen wish list. He decides to purchase a LeCreuset pot for me. What color do I want the enamel coating on this cast iron French pot to be? Of course, it has to be RED. It has to match my Kitchenaid, after all. ;~)

In keeping with the true nature of an obsession, I have also collected RED shoes, handbags, scarves, kitchen towels, plates with red trim, mixing bowls, spatulas, and drawer organizers. RED has wormed its way into every bit of my life. I am awash with color...or rather a color, RED.

Now...here I am ready for an upgrade of my cell phone. I am happy with my current plain jane phone, but it is showing a bit of age (and...oops...misuse). A new phone would be a good investment. I don't have anything in mind as I check out the Verizon Wireless website, but the instant I see the RED Krzr, I know it must be mine. I need that RED phone to balance everything else red in my life. I truly am obsessed.

RED is a good obsession to have when it leads you to Red Onion Dip. Red onions are sweeter and more mild than their yellow or white contemporaries. Baking them with balsamic vinegar and honey only makes them sweeter while the mustard provides just the right amount of tangy bite. I love this spread over toasted rounds of baguette, but it could easily be served as a condiment with pork, chicken, or beef as part of a main meal. I am obsessed with Red Onion Dip On My Plate.

Red Onion Dip

1 red onion, finely chopped
½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup honey
½ cup olive oil
½ cup grainy mustard

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients and put into a small baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Increase oven temp to 420, bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Serve with toasted baguette slices. (Serves 8, as an appetizer)

2 comments:

  1. I love that slide show with the flames! :) You have amassed a nice RED collection ... but my fave are still that deep red vintage glassware. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that red Cape Cod dinnerware. My mother collected it all through my childhood and gifted it to me for Christmas a few years back. It is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails