Monday, November 27, 2006

Rise and Shine

I am not a morning person. I have tried to embrace the sunrise, but my night owl tendencies always win. Even with my employment, I have maneuvered into positions that don’t usually require me to be perky and alert until after 9 or 10am. However, sometimes, there are exceptions, and today is one.

Last night, I was called by the school district to substitute for a high school teacher. These are classes that I have worked with on a regular basis, and students that I have known for many years. It isn’t a difficult job, except that I have to actually set my alarm, get up, and be on the ball in the morning hours.

In order to be attentive to the students, I need to fuel myself. I need something easy and filling for a quick breakfast before I head out the door to school. I have learned from experience that my thermal mug full of tea isn’t enough to keep me focused and my stomach from growling before the lunch break.

I love poached eggs. I adoring sopping up the runny yolks with my toast. It makes sense to combine the two in a quick and satisfying breakfast. I can rise, and my breakfast can shine. I think that is a good compromise for a night owl forced into the morning light.

Microwave Poached Egg on Toast
1 slice bread, toasted
1 large egg
butter, to taste
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Place the toast on a plate, butter it, flatten the middle down with the back of a fork.
Crack and carefully pour the egg into the flattened middle of the toast, not allowing it to spill over into the plate.
Prick the yolk quickly and carefully with the tines of the fork and bake in the microwave on a turntable for about 45 seconds on 60-70% power, until the white is cooked through or desired doneness is achieved. You may need to adjust cooking time to suit your microwave.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Insanely simple! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! So simple. No more hot stove in the morning either. Huge plus! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails