Saturday, October 30, 2010

Simple Saturdays

How many of us have simple Saturdays? How many of us allow ourselves to snuggle deep under the covers and sleep late...or if you swing the other way, rise early and enjoy the sunrise with a warm cup of coffee? How many of us make time to read a book, craft, watch a movie, sit in the sun, soak in a tub, bake a cake, putter in the garden, or do whatever activity it is that makes your soul smile? 

If you are like me, your Saturdays are similar to any other day, full of lists of things that MUST.BE.DONE.NOW. There are always chores and errands and sometimes even work to rob us of a simple Saturday. And it does rob us. We need things to make our souls smile. We need a reprieve from the chores and errands and work. We need quiet happiness found in what is basically nothing at all. At least, I do. 

Today (Saturday) held a super full schedule for me. I jumped out of bed and dashed to the grocery store first thing this morning. It was there that asparagus caught my eye. It was there that the notion of claiming just a few moments of a simple Saturday took hold for me. Yes, I still had loads to do, and I wasn't going to drop the ball on that to-do list. I just wanted a few moments of quiet stillness with the sunlight dancing over a plate of roasted asparagus topped with a runny egg. Whole wheat toast on the side, and a mug of tea to wrap my fingers around as I gazed out the window. Simply the breakfast of a simple Saturday to reinforce me for the jam-packed day ahead. No, it wouldn't be a simple Saturday, but it could be a Simple Breakfast On My Plate.



asparagus
olive oil
kosher salt
fresh cracked black pepper
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
egg(s)
Preheat oven to 400.
Toss asparagus with olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh cracked black pepper.
Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes (depending on how many spears and how thick they are...thicker spears are better for roasting).
Meanwhile, in a nonstick pan drizzle a little olive oil and heat.
When the oil is hot, break egg into pan and immediately turn heat to low.
Cook slowly until the whites are completely set and the yolks begins to thicken, but are not hard.
Arrange roasted asparagus spears on a plate.
Slide egg on top of asparagus and break the yolk.
Season with fresh cracked black pepper, a sprinkling of salt, and a grating of Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy the simple moment of breakfast.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious.

    We almost never have simple Saturdays. I think I might break down and schedule an unscheduled weekend soon... total oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhh..........I just love eggs fried in olive oil...........and ohhhhhhhhh I just love asparagus, too..........could this get any better? Gonna fix it soon.
    Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy! I wondered if I had lost you. Hadn't heard from you in awhile. Glad to know that asparagus and fried eggs can get your attention. ;-) Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi back at you. I'm still here.........just haven't been in touch. Lovely Halloween pic, by the way. LOL I'm going to try the tabouleh soon. It's been a while since I've had that. Take care, Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails