Friday, May 07, 2010

Fridge Friday, episode 1


Remember how I said that I had an idea in the works to try to keep up my momentum with blog posting? Well, here it is. Awhile back, I stumbled upon the concept of Fridge Fridays through Twitter. At that time, we were just snapping quick phone pics of our fridges and posting for others to see and discuss. Most of us had a more than passing interest in food and cooking and liked to see what ingredients each had on hand. Later, a blogger (Maggie) took the idea and created a separate site just for Fridge Friday posts.

I have decided to add my own spin to Fridge Fridays and introduce it as a theme here On My Plate. I will snap a photo of my fridge, zero in on one ingredient, and share a recipe that includes it. There are no promises that this will be an every Friday occurrence, but I would like to try. This could be a fun addition to the blog.

Your input is very welcome. If you check out the fridge photo and see something in there that sparks your interest, let me know. Comment away. Ask questions. Tell me that you also have a love for Laughing Cow Cheese, or ask me what in the heck I am doing with that HUGE jar of marinated artichokes (and if you really must know, please see my confession at Enough to (Arti-)Choke a Horse). Play along with me. Let me know that I am not just talking to myself when I peck out these posts (although, truth be told, I do talk to myself ALL THE TIME).

So...did you check out the pic above? Did you see an ingredient that you thought deserved some time in the spotlight? This week, I have asparagus, salad greens, herbs, zucchini, mushrooms, strawberries, Greek yogurt, bacon, hot dogs, pickles, take-and-bake bread, and even crab meat in the fridge. However, it is the lowly tube of  refrigerator biscuits that gets to come out and play. I found something in the No Recipe Zone of Everyday with Rachael Ray that I knew Hubs would love, French Onion Soup Cups.


Hubs LOVES French Onion Soup; begs for it; orders it every time he has the opportunity. The only other soup that I have ever seen him eat more of is Clam Chowder...and that is an ugly story that I won't be repeating. French Onion Soup Cups bakes up refrigerator biscuits on the underside of greased muffin tins to create little "cups." Filled with caramelized onions and topped with a cheese sauce and more melted cheese, they are so simple and satisfying. I tossed together a salad with baby greens and a fresh vinaigrette as a side, and our meal was complete in no time. I don't need anything special in my fridge to put French Onion Soup Cups On My Plate.


 French Onion Soup Cups

2 tablespoons olive oil
One can refrigerator biscuits
8 cups thinly sliced onions
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Preheat to 400°.
Invert a muffin pan and lightly grease the back side of ten muffin cups. 
Pat a biscuit flat, place over a greased muffin cup and stretch the dough to cover the cup. 
Repeat with the remaining nine biscuits. 
(With the bigger Grands biscuits, I had to use every other muffin cup to keep from baking together. Regular sized biscuits could use all the muffin cups without problem.)
Bake until golden-brown, 7 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly, then remove the biscuit cups from the pan and place cup side up onto a baking sheet to cool completely.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet and add the onions, salt, and pepper. 
Cook until the onions are softened and browned, about 15 minutes.
Divide the onion mixture among the biscuit cups.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. 
Whisk in the flour until smooth. 
Whisk in the heavy cream and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes. 
Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese; season with salt and pepper. 
Spoon the cheese sauce over the onions.
Sprinkle the thyme and remaining cheese and on top and bake until the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. (Serves 6-8)

4 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I'd love to join in (after I give my fridge a good clean out...I don't think you could see anything in it now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have others join in. Let me know when you are ready. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinkin' I need to clean my fridge, but I will tell you that I do have Laughing Cow in there. ;o) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea...very cool to see what's in the fridge.

    I think my kiddos would enjoy this soup and it's cup.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails