Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Pass the Parmesan, Please

Pass the Parmesan, please. I am back in the kitchen. I actually cooked something for last night's dinner. Don't fall to your knees in praise, yet. I did used Bertolli jarred marinara sauce, in my quick and easy version of Eggplant Parmesan. I am not back to full speed ahead at the stove, but it was a very good meal, if I may say so myself. The dust has been blown off of my pots and pans, and my taste buds are very happy for it.


Baked Eggplant Parmesan

olive oil
2 large eggs
¾ cup plain breadcrumbs
¾ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
plus 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, for topping
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
coarse salt
pepper
1 large eggplant, sliced into ½-inch rounds
3 cups marinara sauce
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375.
Brush 2 baking sheets with oil; set aside.
In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water.
In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, ¾ cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well; place on baking sheets.
Bake until golden brown on bottom, about 15 minutes; turn slices and back about 10-15 minutes longer.
Raise oven heat to 400.
Spread enough sauce in the bottom of a 8x8-inch baking dish to cover.
Arrange half the eggplant in the dish; cover with more sauce, then ½ cup mozzarella.
Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving. (Serves 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails