Saturday, January 30, 2010

Strong to the Finish, 'Cuz I Eats Me Spinach

I haven't grilled steaks in awhile, and tonight had a craving.

OK. Those of you that know me in real life can quit screaming "Liar!" at your computer monitors. While I truly do enjoy a perfectly grilled, rare ribeye, I almost never actually crave them. To be totally honest, my true craving was for the crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, crusted with salt and pepper goodness of The Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes, but knew that the red-blooded guy that I married would appreciate the pairing of those awesome potatoes with a big, juicy steak.

Of course, I refuse to serve a meal with just meat and potatoes. Something green needs to be On My Plate, too. With a nod to old school steak houses, I decided Cheesy Creamed Spinach should be our other side dish. Do you like spinach dip? Imagine it just loaded with beautiful, green spinach and rich with melty cheese. Onions and garlic meld with the wilted spinach and provide a rich, full flavor that is in no way a wimpy side dish. Cheesy Creamed Spinach is strong to the finish and complements the steak and potatoes so very well On My Plate.


Cheesy Creamed Spinach

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
kosher salt

fresh ground black pepper

3 pounds fresh spinach, chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup heavy cream (maybe a little more, if you think it looks dry)

12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly grease 6 1-cup ramekins.

In a large saute pan, melt the butter.

Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.

Saute for about 2 minutes, or until the onions are soft.

Add the spinach and season; saute until wilted.

Add the garlic and cream; mix well.

Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 of cheese; stir.

Turn into prepared ramekins.

Sprinkle with the remainder of the grated cheese and place on cookie sheet in oven.

Bake for about 4 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. (Serves 6)

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes! We want some creamed spinach on our plates! I'm not a betting person but I'd lay a wager that my spinach fiends would LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this... I love spinach!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails