Sunday, May 10, 2009

Batching It

I am supposed to be out of town right now. I had an incredible little get-away planned with some long-time girlfriends. However, my stomach decided that I shouldn't do it. It rebelled in ugly ways, and I wasn't able to make the drive to the airport, or catch the plane, or fly with the girls, or spend several days of complete silliness and total fun with some of the people who mean the most to me. I am stuck at home...feeling a bit physically stronger each day, but still feeling horribly sad that I have missed out on that joyous reunion. Being sick sucks. But, that is another story that I really don't need to go into here. Who wants to read about nasty bodily functions in a food blog?

The halting of my travel plans created a major change in menu for Hubby. Instead of spattering grease while frying up juicy burgers the size of my head, simmering cauldron sized pots of chili, frequently hitting the local Chinese buffet, heating corn dogs in the oven, and making the treat that the pups always look forward to..."Pupperoni" Pizza, I am here to keep order in the kitchen. I think he is disappointed. He actually does like to cook and play around with ingredients, and pizza is one of his greatest playgrounds.

He piles his pies (sometimes using a frozen pizza as the base, sometimes using a crust from a tube, sometimes making it all from scratch) with anything that he can get his hands on. He has a true bachelor style in the kitchen though, and meat always plays a starring role. You can't have Pupperoni Pizza without lots and lots of pepperoni. There have to be enough of those little spicy spheres to eat and to share with the pups, of course. It is the rule.

So...even though I am here, how can I deny him his pizza? However, I am going to go for a different batch on my pizza. I am going to roast up a batch of beautiful vegetables and load my crust with their garlicky, flavorful goodness. In the past, I have used whatever cheese I happened to have on hand from the standard mozzarella, to feta, to Monterrey jack. I do have to say that the Monterrey Jack has come away as the leader. It's extra kick of flavor really complements the robustness of the veggies. I don't even miss the pepperoni when I have Roasted Veggie Pizza On My Plate.

Roasted Veggie Pizza

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
5-6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 small zucchini, cut into thin slices
6-10 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red onion, cut into wedges and then sliced
1 3/4 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
1 tube pizza dough (or your favorite recipe)
freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste

Preheat oven to 425°F
Use 1 tsp of olive oil to coat baking stone or pizza pan.
Spread out pizza dough and bake at 425°F for 7 minutes.
Combine 1 tsp olive oil, thyme, salt, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion on a sheet pan and toss to coat well.
Spread into a single layer and roast at 500°F for 7 minutes.
Stir the vegetables and roast for another 7 minutes.
Sprinkle half the cheese over the pizza crust.
Spread the roasted vegetables over the cheese.
Top the vegetables with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Top with Parmesan cheese to garnish. (Serves 4-6)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you're sick! :(

    That pizza sounds like the best of both worlds for you and your fam! Did they like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend loves to cook and try new recipes. Although I do fair at cooking, I don't take near the time you do with it. I'm going to keep my boyfriend away from you because he might think he could trade up for a better cook! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails