Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Do I Do With? ...part two

So...I made lemon curd that was absolutely sweet and tart and wonderfully...well, LEMON. Ha. :-) But after stirring 14 egg yolks into that mixture, I was left with 14 unmated egg whites in a bowl on the kitchen counter. Once again, I was facing the "what do I do with..." question, and once again, I crowdsourced for options. Omelets and Frittatas were the popular suggestions, and a Sausage, Spinach, and Egg White Frittata seemed like just the thing for a simple dinner that night. I paired it with toasted Asiago Bread (smeared with sweet, creamy butter) and a fresh fruit salad. Simple. Delicious. Filling. Possibly even slightly healthy. Awesome.



1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup red pepper, diced
1 cup of sliced sausage (I used a Lamb and Jalapeno ring sausage {about 1/4 of the ring, sliced into half moons}...you could use Polska Kielbasa, Chicken Sausages, Smoked Sausage, or whatever suits you.)
2 cups of baby spinach, chopped
14 egg whites, beaten (go ahead and adjust to use whole eggs, if you don't just have the egg white leftover from making lemon curd)
1/2-3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Heat oil in a large, oven-proof skillet.
Add onions and peppers and saute until almost tender.
Add the sausage and heat through. (My lamb sausage was pre-cooked & contained cheese that I didn't want to ooze out. Using another type of sausage, you may want to brown it first and then add the onions and peppers.)
Stir in the spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
Remove pan from heat and pour in the beaten egg whites.
Sprinkle cheese over the frittata.
Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until egg whites are set.
Allow to cook 5 minutes before serving. (Serves 4-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails