Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Say Cheese!

It's time for an updated photo for the About Me portion of this blog. I need to find someone to snap a pic and just, "Say Cheese!" Do you have any ideas for a great profile pic?

This weekend, I should have said cheese when I went on a quick grocery run. I was home no more than an hour when I realized that I didn't have the Feta cheese called for in a Cooking Light salad recipe. (Maybe I should have read the recipe before I went to the store???)  Not really wanting to make another drive to the store, I decided to sub some crumbled goat's cheese. It was a good, tangy contrast to the simple, lemon-dressed ribbons of summer squash and crisp bits of salty prosciutto. I can also imagine little pearls of fresh mozzarella being good in this salad, and am sure that I will get to try it (and the original Feta) several times as I throw together this easy side dish to use up my garden's surplus of zucchini.



1 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow squash
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
the zest of one lemon
the juice of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 thin slices prosciutto
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese/feta cheese/mozzarella pearls (or whatever cheese you have on hand)


With a mandolin slicer set on the thinnest setting, shave the zucchini and squash into thin strips.
Place zucchini and squash in a medium bowl, and toss with salt.
Whisk together parsley, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and pepper in a small bowl.
Pour over zucchini and squash; toss.
Arrange slices of prosciutto between layers of paper toweling on a plate and microwave on high for 1.5-2 minutes, until crisped.
Place 3/4 cup salad on each of 4 plates.
Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese; sprinkle evenly with crumbled prosciutto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails