Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Forgive Me, For I Have Sinned

I think that I need to start this post with an apology to those that know me in real life and ask their forgiveness for what I am about to share. Some people have heard my rants against area salad bars and their sea of white, mayo-based salads. It sometimes seems that if it isn't drenched in a mayo dressing, it won't be allowed on a salad bar. I do concede that fresh produce can often be limited out here on the prairie, but even with the bounty of summer gardens, everything still seems to be served wearing a coat of mayo.

So, please forgive me as I tell you to take beautiful, red (and yellow) cherry tomatoes and dress them with blend of mayo and Dijon. I hang my head in remorse as I proclaim how wonderful this salad truly is. The dressing is tangy; the cherry tomatoes from my garden are just bursting with juicy sweetness; and adding red onion and parsley just perfectly rounds out the the salad. The flavors are bright and clear and definitely not your local salad bar's mayo salad. Forgive me, for I will always be rejoicing with Dressed Cherry Tomatoes On My Plate.


Dressed Cherry Tomatoes

2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pint cherry tomatoes (I usually use a mix of red & yellow.)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste

Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard together.
Halve tomatoes, or if very small, leave whole.
Add tomatoes, onions and parsley to dressing.
Toss well and season to taste. (Serves 4)

3 comments:

  1. I am a lover of tomatoes even though I will put them in a salad or in a sandwich. I have never used them as the main ingredient for anything. this recipe, however, sounds delicious. I am going to try it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious... I love your blog and I will come back...
    My english is no good
    A kiss from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, sorry. I'm certain this was delish but I can't stomach tomatoes. I'll have to try some other veggie (fruit).
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails