Thursday, January 21, 2010

Squashed

I guess that given my recent absence, it is no secret that I am feeling a little squashed lately. My world is made up of too many people with too many demands on too little time. I am singing that same old song of how I can't keep up. However, I read something recently that hit home. Basically, it said, "Sorry that you are busy, but guess what, we all are."

Yes. Slap me with reality. Everyone is busy. Everyone has lists of things to do. I need to get over it, and follow another bit of reality from the article...reduce. I wouldn't feel so squashed if I didn't try to cram so much into each minute of every day. I need to focus on what needs to be done, what will benefit in the long run, and most of all what will bring me contentment and peace. I need to stop allowing outside influences to dictate me and become comfortable in my own life with my own decisions.

One decision that always brings me comfort is to serve Roasted Butternut Squash with Shallots. I grew up with butternut squash being a staple on our holiday table instead of sweet potatoes. Then, it was topped with marshmallows for eewy-gooey goodness. Now, the natural sweetness of the vegetable (yes, I know that squash is actually a fruit...work with me here) is the star of the dish. Just a hint of brown sugar is all that is needed with the caramelized shallots to bring it all together.

Nope. I don't feel Squashed at all with Roasted Butternut Squash with Shallots On My Plate.


Roasted Butternut Squash with Shallots

3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
8 shallots, peeled and sliced
Preheat oven to 475.
Lightly spray sheet pan.
Toss together all ingredients on pan, coating well; arrange in a single layer.
Roast for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender and shallots are caramelized; stir half way through. (Serves 4.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails