Monday, December 12, 2011

Have Yourself a Crafty Little Christmas!

I don't craft.
But, I did.
Baking cookies annoys me.
And, this craft is much like baking cookies.
I don't know what is going on.
Maybe, it is Christmas spirit. Ho! Ho! Ho!

CINNAMON-APPLESAUCE ORNAMENTS
Combine equal parts ground cinnamon and applesauce together. 
I used my Kitchenaid mixer, but if I would have done it by hand, I could have counted it as an upper body workout...at least for my stirring arm.
Roll the dough out to about 1/4" thinkness, or so. 
You may need to dust the surface with a little additional cinnamon to keep the dough from sticking while rolling.
Use a cookie cutter of your choice (I have made these at Valentine's using a heart-shaped cutter.) to cut ornaments from the dough.
With a straw, cut a hole in the ornament for hanging ribbon.
Arrange ornaments on parchment (or Silpat) lined cookie sheets and bake at 200 degrees for 2-4 hours (time will depend on thickness of the dough).
Rotate cookie sheets (turning front to back and switching racks in the oven) every hour or so.
Alternatively, arrange ornaments on parchment or wax paper and allow to dry at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Thread lengths of ribbon (I just used curling ribbon, but silk or satin ribbon is pretty.) through the pre-cut hole and tie as hanger.
Hang ornaments on your tree; use as give tags (puff paint or a metallic marker work well to write on the dried cinnamon and applesauce); attach to a platter of goodies; hang in your car as a festive, seasonal air-freshener.
I have given some as little "thinking of you gifts" and hung most on the skinny tree that is tucked between my pantry and the basement door in my kitchen.
They are a fragrant addition to the mostly kitchen-themed decor.
Are you having a Crafty Little Christmas? What are you making?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails