Thursday, November 04, 2010

How Do You Chop Water?

The other day, I received a text message from a friend. He asked if I had ever made Tabbouleh. I replied that while I love this fresh salad offering at Sanaa's 8th Street Gourmet, I had never made it myself. "Why not?" he asked. I really had no answer for him. I almost always have all of the simple ingredients on hand, and I own one of Sanaa's fabulous cookbooks (Secrets of Healthy Middle Eastern Cooking) that includes her recipe. Why not? Why not NOW?

My friend and I made a pact to recreate this flavorful, healthy salad and submit dueling blog posts. I assured him that even with limited cooking skills, he could do it. "It is just boiling water and chopping," I said. "How do you chop water?" he asked. Oh boy. I *hoped* this was a good idea.

As it turned out, it was a GREAT idea, Jonathan created an incredible salad that "fills my mouth with flavor and my stomach with complete satisfaction" and posted an awesome blog post about the process. I Think I Burnt The Salad even includes the video of Sanaa making the gluten-free version of Tabbouleh.

The Tabbouleh that I prepared is a variation of the traditional recipe that includes bulgur wheat. While not gluten-free, it is still packed with the gusto of the bright flavors of the parsley, onion, and tomato. I could hardly wait to drizzle it with a little olive oil and fresh lemon juice and gobble it down. My hearty, but healthful lunch of Tabbouleh, Roasted Garlic Hummus, and (purchased) flat bread was one of the best ideas ever On My Plate.

(Adapted from Sanaa Abourezk) 

 1/2 cup Quick Booking Bulgur Wheat (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup water
4 cups finely chopped ripe tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped onion
5 cups finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (really, fresh is so much better than bottled stuff)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Bring water to a boil.
Add the bulgur wheat; stir.
Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until tender.
In a salad bowl, combine the cooked bulgur with the tomatoes, onion, and parsley.
(Can be prepared ahead to this point and dressed just prior to serving.)
Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil and toss to coat. (6 servings)

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinkin' that Sanaa's must be near Monks in SF. We've been there, but never to Sanaa's.
    I'll see if hubby will try her menu sometime. I like that part of the city for it's old charm. Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sanaa's is at 8th and Railroad Centre, very near Monk's...very worth a stop. Try it for the lunch buffet on Saturday and get a chance to sample everything on the menu.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails