Thursday, March 27, 2008

Curling My Hair

Several years ago, I was sick of my hair style. I decided in my ultimate wisdom that I needed a perm. Why? I Have no idea. Maybe, I had nostalgia for the spiral curls that I wore in the 80s. Maybe, I was just insane.

My hair was not quite shoulder length when I went in for the hair appointment. My stylist, a long-time friend, tried to talk me out of putting my hair through that torture, but I was adamant. I wanted a perm. She relented. We rolled, and processed, and rinsed, and trimmed, and styled, and I was horrified. I didn't have the wavy bouncy cuteness that had been in my mind's eye. I was a freaking poodle. Shirley Temple was reincarnated. I hated it.

After a week and a half of fussing, fretting, crying, screaming, and even a professional blow out at another salon during a spa trip with the girls, I was back in my stylist's chair to have my hair straightened. No, it wasn't healthy for my hair. Yes, it was more torture than the original perm. And, yes, my friend and stylist did say, "I told you so." I deserved it. I was an idiot. She swears that she will never, ever, ever again perm my hair, even if I throw a screaming hissy fit. I don't blame her; in fact, I thank her for that.

These days, Shirley Temple is just a sweet drink, and not a description of my style. I am just not a sweet drink kind of girl. However, I have become partial to a rocked out Saucy Shirley now and then. Usually, I like my Absolut with just a little club soda and a twist of lemon. Silly girly drinks are for other girls, not me. Maybe it's the part of my psyche buried deep inside that wanted those bouncy curls and now craves the sweetness of this kicked up fruity drink. I don't know. I just know it is good. Let's just hope that I don't drink enough of them to curl my hair.


Saucy Shirley

1 (12 ounce) can 7-up soda
2 ounces Cherry Pomegranate Juice
2 ounces Absolut vodka
sugar
lemon slices
ice

Wet rim of glasses and press into sugar.
Fill glasses with ice and pour in 7-up until ¾ full.
Add 1 ounce Cherry Pomegranate juice and 1 ounce vodka to each glass. Stir.
Garnish rim of glass with lemon slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails