Friday, May 14, 2010

Fridge Friday, episode 2

It is Friday! As promised, I am going to try to keep up with Fridge Friday photo shots. Here is my refrigerator today:
Two things have occurred since last Friday. 1) My basement refrigerator which is supposed to hold beverages and worms for fishing, but often holds overflow from the kitchen refrigerator died. (Note the surplus of butter now living in the bottom right corner of the kitchen fridge.) and 2) Hubs had a doctor's appointment in the big city, so we did some stock up of produce. My fridge runneth over. Therefore, today's focus will be using as many ingredients from the fridge as possible. Some are hidden in the crisper and deli drawers; others are out in plain sight. A simple Roasted Eggplant Sandwich should fit the bill nicely.

This quick and even pretty healthy sandwich will use up some of the enormous jar of Pesto that I picked up at Sam's Club. I love to make my own pesto, but it is too early for basil from my garden and purchasing the quantity of basil needed for pesto at the area groceries (if they even had it) would be horribly cost prohibitive even for a compulsive food shopper like me.

Other players pulled from the cold for this sandwich will include eggplants and peppers (to be roasted), baby greens, and goat cheese. I realize as I circle the goat cheese in the deli drawer that the Laughing Cow cheese would have made a great stand in if goat cheese wasn't available or wasn't to your taste. Both are flavorful and would spread easily on the toasted bread. I used a toasted sour dough hoagie roll for my Roasted Eggplant Sandwich, but any firm bread would be great.

So...what is in your fridge this Friday? What are you cooking up? Do you have the makings for a healthy and delicious Roasted Eggplant Sandwich On Your Plate?

Roasted Eggplant Sandwiches

8 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 large red pepper
2 Sour Dough Hoagie rolls
2 tablespoons pesto
1 cup baby greens
2 tablespoons soft goat cheese

Preheat broiler.
Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. 
Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper. 
Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. 
Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand. 
Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). 
Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan.
Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. 
Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. 
Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
Toast bread or buns until lightly browned. 
Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each of 2 bread slices. 
Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and 2 eggplant slices. 
Divide baby greens evenly between sandwiches. 
Spread goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place, cheese side down, on sandwiches. (Makes 2 sandwiches)

7 comments:

  1. If I liked eggplant, I'd love this. I may try sans the eggplant.

    You don't want to see my fridge.


    Really, you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try roasted zucchini if you don't like eggplant...or slicing some onions and roasting with the peppers and adding those. Lots of options. All are sooo good.

    And come on. Be a sport. Show me your fridge. (Although, I do admit that I am being more on top of keeping mine clean with this weekly post in mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's the quality of the purchased pesto?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The purchased refrigerated pesto is pretty close to fresh. It has a higher oil content than I would use if I made it myself, and I just pour some off the top when it separates after sitting for a day or so. I think that pesto chicken will be on the menu over the weekend to use up some more of this jar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this for dinner--love it even though I got the wrong kind of cheese (block instead of spread). Actually got Pat to eat eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah for Pat! or more importantly, yeah for you for trying the sandwich and liking it! :-) It is pretty similar to the sandwich that I made while we were camping (Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Sandwiches). Glad that it met your approval.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your new Fridge Friday blogs - looking forward to this weeks. PS - haven't tried the eggplant sandwich, never have eaten eggplant in my life, but its on my grocery list for tomorrow!! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails