Friday, March 27, 2009

Strawberry Whine

Fresh spring strawberries are surfacing in every grocery store. Ripe, plump, juicy, red sweetness. What is there to whine about? How about whining about the fact that with fresh strawberries, I can eat an entire baguette in one sitting? all by myself? without even thinking about it? Spread a little (or a lot) of a cream cheese mixture on a toasted, but still chewy baguette, top with slices of fresh strawberries and a drizzle of strawberry sauce, and I inhale it. I am a pig for Strawberry Bruschetta On My Plate, and don't like how much treadmill time I have to log to make up for it. *whine*


Strawberry Bruschetta
1 French baguette
1 (8 ounce) container spreadable cream cheese
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar-free strawberry jelly

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Slice bread about 1/4-inch thick.
Place in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake about 10 minutes or until lightly brown, turning once.
Stir together cream cheese and honey; spread on one side of each toasted baguette slice.
Arrange strawberry slices on the cream cheese.
Heat jelly in a custard cup in a microwave oven on high power for 30 seconds; stir (or heat and stir in a small saucepan until melted).
Drizzle over strawberries. (Serves about 24 slices...enough for at least 12, but maybe only one piggy person like me)

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea--the strawberries are gorgeous now aren't they? I definitely like the way you're enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails