Sunday, June 09, 2013

Fab.U.Lous

Today is a friend's birthday, and I hope she has a fab.u.lous day. She deserves it, but she also works toward it. Some therapeutic discussion over wine and vodka lemonade last night revealed her philosophy of life. She believes it is what you make it, and a fabulous attitude goes a long way. Fabulous. I couldn't agree more.

Hot Corn Dip is what you make it, as well. Over the years, I have seen various recipes for this cheesy appetizer. A famous country music singer turned Food Network star makes hers with canned Mexican corn, while others use frozen or fresh. Sometimes, it is just green chiles to flavor the melty cheese, but jalapenos do pop up in some recipes. And, speaking of melty cheese...my experience has led me to believe that Monterey Jack is the smoothest with the corn, but in a pinch Cheddar-Jack, Provolone, Pepper-Jack (for more heat), or whatever you have on hand can work. Mayonnaise is a binder that aids in the creamy texture of the dip, but when your Hellman's jar (Really, there should be no other mayo than Hellman's.) is empty, I have found that some softened cream cheese does the trick and adds a nice tang. Truly, with the right attitude, you can make Hot Corn Dip whatever you want it to be...and it will always be fabulous...even with stale corn chips.


(adapted from Trisha Yearwood)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2-3/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced
4 cups corn kernels, cut fresh from the cob
1 4.5-ounce can green chiles
1 cup mayonnaise
2-3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350F.
Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet.
Add onion, red pepper, and jalapeno.
Stir and saute until softened.
Add the fresh corn and green chiles.
Cook until heated through.
Stir in the mayonnaise to coat the corn kernels.
Add the Monterey Jack cheese and combine well.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 30 minutes until heated through and bubbly. (Serves 12 for snacking with sturdy corn chips.)

4 comments:

  1. Making this tonight for an NBA Finals snack! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed it. We practically lick the pan clean when I have made it...no matter what random ingredients I need to sub for what I have on hand. :-)

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your blog. This recipe looks delicious! Plan to try it this weekend.
    Thanks!

    P.S. My mom and my mother-in-law have always used Mrs. Clarks mayonnaise. Have you heard of it? I believe it's made in IA. It can be purchased at Fareway in SF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Mrs. Clarks. Kraft, Hellmann's, and store brands are what I usually see. Hellmann's is by far the superior choice of those options, in my opinion. Will have to look for Mrs. Clarks. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the dip.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails