Saturday, May 10, 2014

Something Awesome

I should be posting something awesome about Mother's Day, but instead, I am just going to kinda ramble. I think you are all used to that by now, right?

I purchased some gorgeous potted flowers and placed them on my mother-in-law's local grave. I also picked out another greenhouse purchase for my father-in-law's current wife. With my mother buried several hours away,  I have been keeping an eye on the Fern Peony plant that she gave me several years before her death. It has multiplied well this year and is loaded with buds, but our recent cold-raining-hailing-snowing snaps have kept the blooms from showing their beauty. More rain and cooler temperatures are forecast for Mother's Day, but I hope that maybe next week I will be treated with those crimson blossoms that always remind me of Mom.

For the past week, Hubs has been craving the Chocolate Pudding Cake that his mother often made, and tonight, I gave in and prepared it for dessert. He moaned with delight with the first bite of the over-the-top rich, fudgy cake and creamy pudding paired with vanilla bean ice cream. It was pure decadence, and totally trampled any virtuous feelings I may have had after a light supper of roasted (garden picked!) asparagus, lemon pepper halibut, and Spinach Couscous.

I should be sharing that chocolaty recipe, but I don't have any photos that weren't snapped with my phone in the bad night lighting of my kitchen. (Note to self: better lighting is a must when we finally do the kitchen renovation.) Instead, I am going to share a different pudding cake. I believe that Lemon Pudding Cake would be the choice of my mother. She loved her rich and sweet pecan desserts, but I don't believe I ever saw her turn down something bright, tart and citrusy, either.

With just a few ingredients, this light and fluffy cake rises and bakes atop a creamy, pudding-like sauce. Coupled with ice cream or just sprinkled with powdered sugar, you know it is a pure comfort food when it is served with a spoon. I suppose that Lemon Pudding Cake actually is something awesome to share for Mother's Day.

(adapted from Gourmet Magazine)

2 large lemons
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups whole milk

Preheat oven to 350F.
Grate 1 tablespoon zest from lemons, then squeeze 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons juice.
Whisk together flour, salt and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, zest and juice.
Add to flour mixture, whisking just until combined.
Beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks.
Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat until whites have stiff, glossy peaks.
Whisk about one fourth of the whites into batter to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently.
Pour into a buttered 8x8 baking dish and bake in a hot water bath until puffed and golden, about 45-50 minutes.
Serve warm, or at room temperature. (Serves 6)

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails