Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Berry Merry

I love blueberries. I don't think that is any secret. Click on the blueberry category in the cloud on the right sidebar of this blog, and I believe 10 different recipes which include blueberries as an ingredient will appear. I toss them into muffins, quick breads, crumb cakes, and hot cereals. These little berries are sometimes mixed with other fruits in desserts and also given a well-deserved, solo spotlight. In season, or not, I can't resist picking up a box any time I see them at the grocery store.

A favorite simple breakfast is blueberries stirred into Greek yogurt. Fridge Friday has often shown you a container of Greek Gods Honey Yogurt perched on a shelf in my fridge, and I think this is a perfect, rich, and creamy pairing for blueberries. Digging my spoon into a bowl of yogurt and blueberry goodness *does* make me merry. I even have a go-to plan for those times when I want to up the ante and experience total merry berry bliss: Broiled Blueberries.

Kristen over at Dine and Dish shared a version of the recipe this summer as a dessert. It is an EXCELLENT dessert. Depending on the type of yogurt used, it is even a pretty low-cal way to end a meal without sacrificing a single ounce of sweet berry satisfaction. However, the recipe was first introduced to me as a breakfast, and I have been broiling my blueberries while my whole grain bread is toasting for about 5 years now. (Can you think of a merrier way to start the day?)

The brown sugar topping caramelizes over the smooth, creamy yogurt, and the berries swell with sweetness under the intense heat. It's almost like Creme Brulee over luscious, juicy berries. Truly. Broiled Blueberries is a little cup of merry heaven. Breakfast. Dessert. Anything in between. You have got to try some Broiled Blueberries.


4 cups blueberries
2 cups Greek Gods Honey Yogurt (or other vanilla yogurt)
1-2 cups packed brown sugar

Preheat broiler.
Divide the berries between 4 oven-proof ramekins.
Spoon 1/2 cup of yogurt over berries in each ramekin. 
Top with brown sugar. (Use enough to completely cover the yogurt and berries.)
Broil 3-4 minutes, until the sugar is melted and caramelized. (Watch carefully, as the sugar can burn.)
Serve immediately (although, leftovers can be refrigerated and are still quite tasty when cold).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails