Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Want S'More!

The title says it all. A few weeks ago, we hosted a casual dinner for some friends on a Sunday evening. I planned a full menu of Maple Grilled Salmon, Orzo with Mushrooms, steamed green beans, salad, and the guests brought some incredible homemade bread made with sun dried tomatoes, garlic and parmesan. It was a meal to die for, but I couldn't wait to get to the simple, timeless, summer dessert. S'mores.

I love s'mores. When we were first married, I used to roast marshmallows over the propane burners on our stove. Later, I discovered a microwave version of the treat, but it was missing the toasty bits and wasn't as good as the real deal. While I got to sample marshmallow, chocolate, and graham crackers, it wasn't truly satisfying of the craving. When I purchased a copper fire pit for our backyard patio, I knew that lots of s'mores were in my future. I just can't resist the ooey-gooey marshmallow smudged with bits of burn from being too close to the fire and layered with melting milk chocolate and crisp, crunchy graham crackers. S'mores are the perfect way to end an evening...or start the day...or fill in an afternoon slump...or whatever...I just want s'more!

We invited friends for dinner last Sunday, too. Again, I planned a full summer meal for the patio of Barbecued Chicken, Corn on the Cob, Marinated Potato Salad, Garlic Bread, Watermelon, Salad, and, of course, S'MORES. Unfortunately, the evening was cut short by a nasty approaching thunderstorm, and we didn't get to the s'mores. But, rest assured, they will find their way into another summer menu. I may not make any other dessert all summer long. I just want s'more On My Plate.



S'mores
1 large marshmallow
1 graham cracker, broke into 2 pieces
3 squares chocolate Hershey Bar

Toast marshmallow on skewer over open flame (preferably campfire, but be creative, if you need to be) until golden brown.
Burned bits are required for me, but an acquired taste for others.
Layer chocolate on top of one half of the graham cracker.
Using the other portion of graham cracker, pull the toasted marshmallow off the skewer and sandwich between the crackers and chocolate.
Enjoy immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails