Monday, November 12, 2012

Baby's Got the Blues

I started this post yesterday and was feeling quite down. Hubs and I don't have children, but do have 2 miniature dachshunds. Those pups love us, and we love them. Ace and Sissy are our family.

During a routine vet appointment a few months ago, Sissy was diagnosed with a significant heart murmur. At the time, I acknowledged the doctor's concern and noted the symptoms he listed as possibilities. However, a real issue seemed far off as she continued to tear around the yard, roll in the leaves, chase her brother, bark at the neighbor kids, cats, and squirrels, and insanely lick my toes every time she passed me at my desk.

Since then, there were a few episodes of lameness in her front leg and some heavy panting after exertions, but our lively Sissy was for the most part, still her wild, crazy, and very vocal self.

Until this weekend.

Late on Friday night, Sissy did her usual charge up the stairs to her kennel at bed time. When I caught up with her, I found her hind legs frog-legged behind her as she sprawled helplessly on the floor. She was dazed, breathing heavily, and lethargic. Her whole body shook as she attempted to take in air. After a bit, she did seem more coherent, but her breathing remained labored. Even though we had experienced the trauma of spinal issues with our first dachshund, Rudy, it was, honestly, quite scary...especially as the heaving with every breath continued into the next day.

Saturday, there was was a call to the vet and meds followed by an emergency trip on Sunday when Sissy still gasped for each breath. New meds have been started to help alleviate the fluid that the congenital heart failure has caused to build up around her heart and lungs.

Yesterday, when I started this post, our little lady still didn't have any energy and hungrily gulped for the oxygen her body needs. I was blue. Very blue.

However, after a worry-filled but calm night, she was much better this morning. The diuretic means she is making frequent trips out through the puppy door, and with each trip, she seems a bit more herself. Earlier today, she was barking her fool head off at a piece of trash the wind had blown into the fence. While there is no cure for her condition, I do think this is a sign that we are on the mend.

It hurts to see the baby of the house struggle. I feel helpless, but will do my best to make her comfortable and ease her suffering. I owe her that and so much more.


1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
juice of one lemon
a healthy squirt of Agave syrup (about a tablespoon)
a splash or so of Half and Half (or milk)
Kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup bleu cheese, crumbled

Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and Agave syrup.
Whisk in just enough Half and Half (or milk) to develop the desired salad dressing consistency.
Season with salt and pepper.
Crumble bleu cheese into the dressing and stir to combine.
Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours for flavors to blend.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your baby girl, Fran! I know there's not much that anyone can say that will make it any better. It sounds like you're the best mama and she is in loving hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really makes my heart ache!! I hope and pray that the medications help her... We love that Sissy girl!!! Please keep me posted!! Give her hugs for us!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. give her lots of love and hang in there JO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs rule. The heartache you feel when they are in pain is almost unbearable. May God bless your heart as you care for Sissy and may he wrap his loving arms around her so she doesn't have so much pain.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails