Friday, August 12, 2011

Fridge Friday: Episode 21

Instead of opening my fridge today, I am going to take you back in time to Wedgie Wednesday. 

Yes. That is a brand new upright freezer. Yes. It is wedged into the stairs leading to the basement of my old house. After 3 hours of 2 delivery men straining and lifting and pushing and shoving, a 30 mile round trip to get different tools to remove the door, and my husband coming home from the farm to saw apart a portion of the stairs, the freezer was finally in place in my basement. Delivery complete. 


After the drama of my range purchase (I really need to blog about that some day), the tears with my washer and dryer, and the frustration of the new fridge, I don't know why I thought it would be easy to replace my old freezer. I think I am doomed to tragic appliance acquisitions.  

Let's just be glad that Wedgie Wednesday is behind us. A wedge of Tomato and Bleu Cheese Tart would be the perfect comfort to make me forget all about appliances. Topped with some of the first ripe Roma tomatoes from my garden and bursting with the earthy tang of bleu cheese, this tart is wonderful served with a lightly-dressed green salad and a glass of crisp white wine. Yes. The drama is forgotten already. Appliances? What appliances?



One Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
1 tablespoon olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 cup of cottage cheese (I used whole milk)
1 egg
1 cup bleu cheese, crumbled
3-4 medium tomatoes, sliced thinly


Preheat the oven to 400.
Unroll the pie crust and press into a 9-inch tart pan.
Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork, brush with the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 10 minutes.
In the food processor, pulse the cottage cheese until it is smooth.
Add the egg and process until combined.
Remove the blade from the processor and crumble the bleu cheese into the creamy mixture.
Stir to combine.
Spoon the cheese mixture into the tart shell.
Top with the tomato slices.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes before slicing. (Serves 4-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails