Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Worst Part of Cooking at Home

Hubs and I went out with friends last Saturday night, and at the Wild West Steakhouse enjoyed the best Seafood Tortellini I have had in some time. They were previewing their Valentine's Day menu over the weekend, and that pasta dish in all its carb-overload glory really hit the mark for me. A little salad, crusty bread, a couple cocktails, a mini cupcake, and some good company made it all bliss.

When the Tuesday of Valentine's Day rolled around, Hubs offered to take me back for another round of said bliss. However, partly out of thriftiness (I am trying to budget for finally finishing that office reno.), partly of laziness (I was willing to shower and dress, but didn't want to do the fuss and muss that I require for going out.), and partly of not wanting to sully the high of that great meal with the chance that trying it again on one of the restaurant's busiest nights might not seem as outstanding, I declined. I chose to cook at home.

I knew just what I was going to make after sifting through some pages torn from magazines long ago. Rachael Ray offered up Shrimp and Spaghetti in Coconut Broth as a new, lighter twist on seafood pasta for us. Pan-frying a few of my Pork Dumplings as an appetizer would be the perfect start for this slightly Asian feast, and of course, chocolates would be the luscious ending. It was very different from that meal we had Saturday night, but still special and delicious.

I had forgotten one thing, though. The worst part of cooking at home is THE.DISHES. Even though I can make a fabulous meal at home, I think I might take Hubs up on his next offer for dinner out. I don't like dishes.



1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger (I don't chop my ginger, instead I grate with microplane.)
1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 pound frozen, raw shrimp, thawed (Hubs' preference is tails removed in pasta dishes.)
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
3/4 pound spaghetti

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. 
Cook the spaghetti until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, bring the coconut milk and chicken broth to a simmer.
Stir in the fish sauce, garlic (that's right, you don't saute the garlic first), ginger, chili sauce, and lime juice; cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the shrimp and cook until just opaque, about 4 minutes.
Add the cooked spaghetti.
Stir in the cilantro, reserving some as garnish. (Serves 4)

1 comment:

  1. I love using coconut instead of heavy cream.. This recipe is filled with a lot of familiar and delicious ingredients.

    I can totally relate to dishes. Hate it :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails