Sunday, November 07, 2010

The Whole Enchilada

I *think* that I might finally be done canning the tomatoes from the garden. I still have a large bowl of cherry and yellow pear tomatoes on the counter for snacking and salads, and kept a couple big ones for slicing on sandwiches this week, but otherwise, all of the ripe tomatoes have been processed into some kind of salsa, sauce, juice, or jam. Yes, there is a tub of green ones that are tempting me into trying pickled green tomatoes (I have made my fill of green tomato salsa.), but I don't know if I want to go there. I am so over the canning thing for this year. I am ready to give up the whole enchilada.

Finally tally is 193 quart, pint, half-pint, and 4 ounce jars lining the pantry shelves from my garden produce. Not all are tomato-based, but most are. It will be nice to just grab a jar from the pantry shelf when I want to make spaghetti, throw together a quick snack with the salsa or the jam, make a traditional pizza, or whip up a pan of enchiladas. Yes, even enchiladas. I am testing a from scratch recipe for enchilada sauce that seemed to go over pretty well in my trial batch. Let's hope the jars of sauce don't disappoint this winter. Beef or chicken, I will be happy with enchiladas made with From Scratch Enchilada Sauce On My Plate.



5-8 pounds tomatoes
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup chili powder
1/2 cup salt
2 Tablespoons cumin
2 Tablespoons oregano
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 can tomato paste


Chop tomatoes and place in a large, heavy pot over medium heat.
Add the seasonings.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, until tomatoes have cooked down and flesh has released from the skins.
Remove from heat.
Process tomatoes through a food mill/cone colander with pestle/sieve/or similar utensil to strain the seeds and skin.
Return sauce to heavy pot and bring to a simmer.
Ladle into prepared jars (I used half-pints) and secure lids.
Process in hot water bath for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Good mornin', HOLY COW!!!!! That's a lot of canning time. You must have huge pantry. ;O) I've been told that if you wrap the green tomatoes in newspaper and put them in a cool, dark place, you can ripen them. I haven't tried it, but I guess it's worth a try with a few of them at least, since you have so many. I just picked the last of my grape tomatoes this weekend. The plants just kept hanging in there with all the nice weather. Hubby says it's time to pull the plants out now. It will be over now andyway, with cold weather coming.
    Take care, Sandy in Winner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails