Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lazy?

The other day, someone linked to this:
Is Food Photography in a Rut? 
(go ahead, click it. read it. I will still be here with the rest of what I have to say.)

I have previously written about how my photos are so often rejected by TasteSpotting, foodgawker, and recently, we can add Tasteologie to that list. Sure, I have had a few lucky shots accepted to their photo indexes, but my decline list is still much, much, much longer. As I read that blog post, I found myself nodding a lot in agreement. I scroll through those beautiful food photo sites and see lots and lots of gorgeous photos that are all, regardless of recipe or ingredient, pretty much the same. The photos that I snap of food that I really do eat, in my dark and cozy home, with my point-and-shoot camera can't compare. Still, I submit them...and hold my breath for notification...and kinda wrinkle my nose and cuss a little when I receive yet another rejection.

And, so...even though I have declared this my mantra several times in the past (I guess I never learn, huh?)...I asserted myself free from photo submission for a few posts. Call me lazy, but when it was gray and rainy or late in the evening or the presentation just wasn't that appealing, I snapped a pic anyway. I shared a few anyway. I was free from worrying if the photo was "good enough" (good enough? to be rejected? LOL) and just shared. I have countless "bad" photos filed away on my computer for FABULOUS recipes that I haven't shared. I changed that...a couple of times. I shared bad pics and good food because that is what I do. I am not a photographer held hostage by photo index sites. I am a home cook who shares food that I love with people that appreciate it. 

So, call me lazy as I share another bad photo and a great recipe. Lazy Lasagna is pure comfort food that feeds an army. The original recipe was published in the South Dakota Centennial Cookbook (1889-1989). I received this cookbook as a shower gift as a blushing bride and it was one of the first not-Hamburger Helper recipes that I tried as I taught myself to cook. It is good food that people love.



1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
16 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil (more if using fresh)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 
8 ounce package dried egg noodles
6 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese


Preheat oven to 350.
Brown hamburger, breaking into small pieces.
Add onion and garlic to the meat.
Season with salt and pepper.
When onion is translucent, add tomato sauce and herbs. (here, you could sub your favorite pasta sauce)
Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
In a separate pot, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
Combine sliced green onions, sour cream and cubed cream cheese in a small bowl.
Mix meat mixture, noodles, and sour cream mixture.
Pour into a buttered 9x13 casserole dish.
Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. (Serves 8)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Fran, I can so identify with this post re: photography. It's almost like a drug. I think this lasagna would help me forget any rejections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. Ironically, I found you site from a photo on tastespotting! I quit submitting photos for a long time because I got tired of the rejection. I think that lasagna (and the photo) look super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same boat as you. After submitting my links, I too don't hear from them. I came upon your blog post while google searching on how to get my links accepted on tasteologie and couldn't help but smile. I consider myself a home cook and would like my pics to reflect that rather than a perfectly photoshopped image.

    BTW your pic for lasagna is not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I've submitted 26 photos to food gawker and only 3 have been accepted. However, I don't let it stop me from taking photos because it is all subjective. Your photo above is great they are just super picky. I think you should always add a photo because we always eat with our eyes first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of you! I am sucked into this cycle of always getting rejected from foodgawker, tastespotting, tasteologies, etc. I want to say "screw it" and stop submitting, but then I wake up the next morning, change my mind and submit hoping this one will be accepted. But no, all three reject my pictures. I'll never stop taking pictures and posting to my website as this is what makes me most happy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails