Friday, December 02, 2011

Humming

Let me go on record as stating that the Crazy Target Lady in the commercials is highly annoying. HIGHLY ANNOYING. However, the chorus from her recordable Christmas greeting card commercial has wormed its way into my head. I find myself humming it as I decorate the tree, as I wind garland on the stairs, as I hang the stockings. Occasionally, the notes of "Away in a Manger" or "Little Drummer Boy" surround me, but that darn Target commercial has got me this year.

Another thing that has got me is hummus. I am snacking on it more and more. Although I once was not a fan of the chickpea, garbanzo bean, or whatever you may call it, I have warmed to it pureed into a beautiful, protein-rich dip. Maybe more that just warmed to it. You might call me the Crazy Hummus Lady. I have been enjoying it a lot as an alternative to creamy dips with my veggies and loving it with warm flat bread. I spoon it onto mushrooms, top with a tomato and broil for the yummiest (and simplest) stuffed fungi ever. I even make hummus pizzas with flour tortillas spread with the creamy stuff and topped with black olives and a little feta.

Hummus is here. Fa La La La.



1 head garlic
1 15-20 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with liquid
juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (Traditionally, you would use tahini, but I often don't have that on hand. By all means, use it if you have it.)
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil 

Preheat oven to 375F. 
Cut the crown from the top of a head of garlic, place in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.
Cover baking dish with foil and roast for 45 minutes. (Do 2 heads. Trust me. It will be so sweet and wonderful, you will eat one before it can become part of the hummus.)
Meanwhile, drain chickpea liquid into a small saucepan.
Skin the chickpeas by pinching off and discarding the shells. (Again, trust me. This is time consuming, but produces a much smoother hummus.)

Add skinned chickpeas to the saucepan and simmer on low heat.
When garlic is done roasting, squeeze the cloves into the bowl of a food processor and discard skin.
Add chickpeas and liquid and process until smooth.
Add remaining ingredients and process until combined. 

Season to taste.
Best served at room temperature.
Garnish with cayenne pepper and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

And, just because I can be as highly annoying as the Crazy Target Lady: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails