Friday, November 19, 2010

Fridge Friday: Episode 12

Ready to peek inside my fridge?
What do you want to make today? I would love to put the kettle on to heat some water for a cup of Vanilla Rooibos Tea with a splash of Vanilla Spiced Rum Creamer (in the door, by the orange juice). This is my newest sipping obsession. However, it doesn't make for much of a recipe to share. How about we do something with those ripe and juicy (and admittedly very out of season) blueberries?

Last summer, I made a Blueberry Streusel Bar recipe from Fine Cooking. It was packed with blueberries and lots of crumbly streusel, but seemed to be a little dry and missing something. I enjoyed the dessert, but didn't find the bars calling me to dig in for seconds. More filling. That is what the recipe needed, and that is what I gave it when I recreated Blueberry Lemon Crumble Bars. They are still packed with blueberries and lots of VERY crumbly streusel (you won't want to try to snack on these in bed), but layered into the middle is a hearty dose of creamy, lemon filling. These Blueberry Lemon Crumble Bars call me back for seconds On My Plate.

(adapted from Fine Cooking)

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, separated
2 cans (14 ounce, each) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (Really, squeeze the lemon. The better flavor is worth it.)
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
3-4 cups fresh blueberries

Heat oven to 350.
Line a 9x13 pan with foil, and butter the bottom and sides of foil
Combine flour, oats, sugar, salt, and baking powder. 
Blend the butter into the flour mixture to form a crumb mixture.
Transfer 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture to another bowl and reserve for topping.
Blend 1 egg white into the remaining crumbs and then press mixture in the bottom of the pan to form a crust.

Bake 10-12 minutes until it forms a dry top.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk the condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, egg yolk, and remaining egg.
Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
When the crust is baked, pour filling over in an even layer.
Sprinkle blueberries evenly on top of the filling layer.
Sprinkle reserved crumble topping over the blueberries.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until the topping is brown and filling has set (bars won't jiggle when pan is moved).
Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. (If you are impatient, the filling will ooze and the crumble will crumble even more than normal.) 
(Yield: 24 bars)

2 comments:

  1. I see my favorite brand of Greek Yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Greek Gods Yogurt. The fig is really my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails