Sunday, May 02, 2010

Greening Up

Early last month, I started this post. The grass was just starting to show spikes of green. The trees had tiny, little buds instead of leaves. Chives, oregano, thyme, and tarragon were all reemerging in the herb bed. My world was greening up with the promise of spring. Then, once again, life hit. It is so easy for me to let blogging fall aside whenever I am drowning in other stuff that has to be done. (Are you sick and tired of this excuse yet? I know that I am. If I am going to continue this blog, I really need to get a handle on regularly posting without excuses...and, I do have an idea to maintain my momentum, but that is all potential content for another post...)

Anyway, now, almost a full month later, I am finally back to plucking on the keyboard and pulling together the recipe for a very green Spinach Frittata (adapted from Everyday Food). My grass is a full emerald carpet that has been cut once, and will need it again in a few days. The lilacs not only form a leafy barrier along the property line, but also are just days away from scenting the air with their fragrant blossoms. And, the tarragon in my herb bed is already threatening to be out of control (hmm...anyone have tarragon recipes to share?). My world is green, and so is the food On My Plate.

If you have read more than a couple of the posts in this blog (and if you have, thank you!), you know it is not a secret that spinach is a frequent ingredient in my meals. We love it in any shape and form. Tossing wilted spinach with eggs and baking is such a simple solo meal (or double it and share) for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Make it even greener by pairing with a fresh salad. It doesn't have to be spring for me to green up with Spinach Frittata On My Plate.


Spinach Frittata

1 egg, plus 2 egg whites
2 tablespoons Gruyere cheese

2 teaspoons milk

fresh ground black pepper

kosher salt

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 small shallot, minced

1 1/2 cups baby spinach


Place a 1-cup ramekin on a baking sheet in oven; preheat oven to 450 degrees.
While oven is heating, whisk together egg and egg whites, 1 tablespoon cheese, milk, teaspoon salt, and pinch of pepper.
In a small skillet, heat oil; add shallot and cook until softened.
Add spinach; cook until wilted.
Season with salt and pepper.
Stir spinach into egg mixture.
Remove heated dish from oven and coat with cooking spray.
Immediately pour in egg mixture and top with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Bake until frittata is puffed up and golden brown, about 15 minutes. (Serves 1)

4 comments:

  1. this is yum, i am trying soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach too....this frittata looks so easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a must for this weekend!! I'm always findning new recipes with eggs! Thanks alot for sharing such a healthy recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made this twice. Both times it was good. Great fun for friends! I cooked it a couple minutes longer than 15 to get center cooked. Second time used cheddar, sautéed mushrooms & shrimp (leftovers from dinner), and it was yummy! Thanks for the easy & fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails