Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Blogging is Just Graffiti with Punctuation"

This is seriously one of my favorite lines from the movie Contagion. When I heard it, I laughed out loud. 

"Blogging is just graffiti with punctuation."

Some bloggers truly are journalists, but for the most part, I believe that the blogging world is very full of those of us that are just scribbling across the internet. As with the painted graffiti on the sides of abandoned buildings...some blogs are intelligent and make us think...some are bold and hard hitting...some lean in an artistic direction but don't quite make it...and some are absolute pure works of beauty...but A LOT of blogs are just scribbles. I know that mine is. Graffiti with punctuation. Pure and simple.

So...what has held me up from posting some of my graffiti on a regular basis? !!#?$#! That's what. Anything and everything has gotten in the way of me scribbling a few words and sharing a recipe. But not tonight. Tonight, I am going to consider this to be my scribbling and throw up an easy recipe for Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, Sage, and Browned Butter. It is an adaptation of something I had seen in Everyday with Rachael Ray, and a super simple supper with exceptional flavor. The sage and browned butter punctuate the rich essence of the roasted cauliflower. Art or scribbles? I will leave that for you to decide, as I enjoy this bit of graffiti On My Plate.



1 head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
1 pound pasta
1/3 pound sliced deli ham, cut into ribbons


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
Bake until browned, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Cook, without stirring, until the butter is golden-brown, about 6 minutes.
Stir in the sage and remove from the heat.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, drain and return the pasta to the pot.
Stir in the ham, cauliflower, and reserved pasta cooking water.
Stir in the sage butter and season with salt and pepper. (Serves 4)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Fran, I'm always looking for new ways to use my sage. This looks like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, as much as I love your recipes and your blog is my go to cookbook, what I really love is your writing style. Your introduction alone is proof that you are not one of the "scribblers." You are one of the artists.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails