Monday, November 06, 2006

Phat Is NOT Where It Is At

My jeans are tight. I hate that. I went up a size last year and wasn't happy about it. Now, that size isn't so sure that it likes me anymore. I checked out Zafu where they supposedly match you to the perfect jeans. I was directed to a couple of Baby Phat styles. I am sorry. I know that the PH is supposed to be hip and cool, but I don't want to wear jeans that have FAT in their name! I am all for embracing my curves, but when a woman is struggling with her body image, phat is not where it is at.

After several months of falling into a sedentary lifestyle and eating whatever I want, it is time to make some changes. I don't believe in diets. Diets are a bandaid on a gaping head wound. Sure, you can follow a strict meal plan for a short period of time and drop those pesky extra pounds. But, what happens when your mind falls off of that meal plan? Those pesky pounds still have your address and they often move back in along with a few free-loading friends. I believe in making common sense adjustments to how you eat and increasing your activity levels. Overall, I don't eat badly. I just indulge a little too often in things that should be treats. I like cream sauces. I like pie. I like cheese and crackers at midnight. These things aren't bad. They just shouldn't be a daily part of my life. Common sense and exercise should be my daily regimen. I am going to try to get back to it.

Lunch today is a very simple soup that I love, White Bean and Spinach Soup. This is a slight modification of a South Beach Diet recipe. I feel that the diet as a whole doesn't supply an active person with enough carbs to fully function, but that doesn't mean some of the recipes can't still be used to help us watch our calorie intake. The beans in the soup are filling and the roasted garlic is a really flavorful addition. This will fuel me all afternoon, and ward off any mid-afternoon pie binges.

White Bean and Spinach Soup
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon minced roasted garlic
½ cup low-sodium V-8 juice
salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste

Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium pan.
Add the spinach and allow to boil for a bit and wilt down the leaves, stirring often.
Reduce heat and add the rinsed and drained beans, roasted garlic, and V-8 juice.
Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes.
Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste. (Serves 4)

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way - I pulled on some jeans to go out Saturday and hated the way I felt in them. I have had too much pie & Halloween candy lately, and I've got to get it under control before the holidays hit!!

    I'm making a broccoli-brown rice soup tonight & eating a salad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. My afternoon cheese and crackers habit has caught up with me. :( You've helped motivate me, though, so good luck to us both! :)
    By the way, I've made the White Bean and Spinach Soup, and it is very good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails